1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A block on a frictionless circular ramp

1. Apr 8, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, ramp. variables and given/known data
    A block with mass m=5kg is placed at position A and given an initial velocity Va=2m/s Down a frictionless circular ramp. Between positions B and C it travels over a flat rough surface having a coefficient of kinetic friction Mk=.25. Finally it travels over a flat frictionless surface and contacts am uncompressed so spring with spring constant k=1250N/m. The block comresses the spring at distance Delta (X) and comes to rest at position D.

2. Relevant equations

A) beginning at position A use conservation of energy to calculate the blocks velocity when it reaches position B

B) begimning at position B use conservation of energy to calculate the block's velocity when it reaches position C . Don't forget friction!!!!

C) beginning at position C use conservation of energy to calculate the distance Delta(X) that the spring is compressed when the block reaches position D

D) starting over at position A use conservation of energy directly between positions A and D and show that you get the same distance Delta(X) as part c) without having to calculate the velocities at position B and C

3.Please I'm super lost and have tried everything can someone solve and show me?!!!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2014 #2

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

how tall (or long with angle) is the ramp?
    CoE:
    A)[itex]\frac{1}{2} mv_{initial}^2 +mg\Delta h = \frac{1}{2} mv_{final}^2[/itex] where h is either given or = [itex]dsin(\theta)[/itex]
    B) do the same thing, but include friction as part of the work term [itex]W = mg\Delta h - \mu N\Delta x[/itex]
    C) again, do the same thing, I'm assuming flat means level? so
    [itex]\frac{1}{2}mv_{InitialAfterC}^2 = \frac{1}{2}k\Delta x^2[/itex] W=0, no friction, and mg sin theta = 0, so all kinetic energy goes into compressing the spring (potential)
    i'm not crunching the numbers for you, but that should work, give it a shot.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  4. Apr 8, 2014 #3
    Ramp is 3m!!!

5. Apr 8, 2014 #4
    Can you please since it I have no ideas how to change the formula to get velocity final

6. Apr 8, 2014 #5

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

what do you mean? i gave you the equation. plug in 1/2, plug in m, plug in initial velocity. that gives you the first term, which is a number. then plug in m, plug in g, plug in h. that gives you the second term which is a number. then plug in 1/2, plug in m, and keep v final ^2 which gives you some number times v final^2.

you get some number = some number times v final^2 . plug it into your calulator, its a 16 =4x^2 type equation, and i'm confident you can solve it. once you get v final for A), use that for v inital for B) and so on.

this forum is for homework help not for us to give you the answers, which i pretty much did already.

7. Apr 8, 2014 #6
    I tried I got stuck help me :(

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted