A bushranger hanging out of a hotel window

  • Thread starter Thread starter PG222
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Window
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
PG222
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A bushranger hanging out of a hotel window wishes to drop vertically onto a horse galloping under the window. The constant speed of the horse is 14.0 m/s, and the distance from the window to the level of the saddle is 2.50 m.
(a) What must be the horizontal distance between the saddle and window sill when the bushranger makes his move?

(b) For what time interval is he in the air?

Homework Equations


I'm not too sure of what equations I was meant to use but I tried this:
X=-2.5
X=0.5(-9.8)t^2
D=Ut

The Attempt at a Solution


Using the above equations I worked t out to be 0.714 seconds
And for the horizontal distance I ended up with 10 meters
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
Was there a question in all that?

some things stand out:
1. you have not provided the reasoning for your working
2. you have not done anything for part (a)
3. would "distance" be the magnitude of the displacement here?

Kinematic equations would be appropriate here - especially if you want to neglect air resistance.