A dropped stone falls past a window, determine it's initial height

In summary, the falling stone took 0.33 seconds to travel past a window that was 2.2 meters tall. To determine the height from which the stone fell, the initial velocity at the top of the window was first calculated using the kinematic equation X = Vi(t) + 0.5gt^2. The resulting value was 8.28 m/s. This velocity was then used as the final velocity in the equation Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2gx, where x represents the height from which the stone fell. However, when inputting the calculated value of 3.5 meters for x into the online homework, it was incorrect. To obtain the correct answer of 1.3 meters
chickenonrice

Homework Statement

A falling stone takes 0.33 s to travel past a window 2.2 m tall.
upload_2014-9-30_14-18-16.png

From what height above the top of the window did the stone fall?
Express your answer using two significant figures.

Homework Equations

Kinematic Equations ~
X= Vi (time) + .5gt^2

Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2gx

The Attempt at a Solution

First I determined what the initial velocity was at the top of the window:

X = Vi (time) + .5gt^2
2.2 = Vi (.33) + .5 (-9.8) (.33)^2
Vi = 8.28 m/s

Then I used this velocity as my final velocity in this equation:[/B]

Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2gx
8.28^2 = 0^2 + 2 (-9.8)x
x = -3.5meters

When I first inputted 3.5 meters into my online homework, it came out to be incorrect. I randomly decided to add -3.5 meters to 2.2 meters and the answer: 1.3 Meters, came out to be correct.

I don't understand why I am adding -3.5 to 2.2.

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
chickenonrice said:

Homework Statement

A falling stone takes 0.33 s to travel past a window 2.2 m tall.
View attachment 73842
From what height above the top of the window did the stone fall?
Express your answer using two significant figures.

Homework Equations

Kinematic Equations ~
X= Vi (time) + .5gt^2

Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2gx

The Attempt at a Solution

First I determined what the initial velocity was at the top of the window:

X = Vi (time) + .5gt^2
2.2 = Vi (.33) + .5 (-9.8) (.33)^2
Vi = 8.28 m/s

Then I used this velocity as my final velocity in this equation:[/B]

Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2gx
8.28^2 = 0^2 + 2 (-9.8)x
x = -3.5meters

When I first inputted 3.5 meters into my online homework, it came out to be incorrect. I randomly decided to add -3.5 meters to 2.2 meters and the answer: 1.3 Meters, came out to be correct.

I don't understand why I am adding -3.5 to 2.2.

Thank you in advance.
Check your calculation of Vi; I'm seeing a lower value than 8.28 m/s. In particular, make sure the sign that you're ascribing to the acceleration constant matches your choice of coordinate system that the rest of the equation is assuming.

I thought the acceleration due to gravity should always remain negative? With a positive acceleration, the Vi changes to 5.049.

By using the positive acceleration, I got 1.3 Meters exactly!

How exactly do you decide when to use a positive or negative acceleration due to gravity?

You chose the downward direction positive when you calculated with positive displacement ##\Delta x =2.2 m ##. If downward is positive, the downward gravitational acceleration is also positive.

ehild

Likes chickenonrice

I would first like to point out that the initial height of the dropped stone cannot be determined with complete accuracy based on the given information. This is because the time taken to travel past the window is only given to two significant figures, meaning that the uncertainty in this value is at least 0.01 s. This uncertainty will propagate through to the calculated initial height and result in a final answer that is also only accurate to two significant figures.

With that being said, let's look at the solution provided. The initial velocity calculated (8.28 m/s) is the velocity at the top of the window, which means that the stone must have been dropped from a height greater than 2.2 m. This is why the calculated height of -3.5 m does not make sense, as it would indicate that the stone was dropped from below the window.

Adding -3.5 m to 2.2 m is not a valid approach to solving this problem. Instead, we can use the kinematic equation Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2gx to solve for the initial height (x) using the initial velocity (Vi) and time (t) values that we have already calculated.

Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2gx
(0 m/s)^2 = (8.28 m/s)^2 + 2(-9.8 m/s^2)x
x = -3.41 m

This calculated initial height of -3.41 m indicates that the stone was dropped from a height greater than 2.2 m, which is consistent with our initial assumption. However, as mentioned earlier, the uncertainty in the given time value means that the calculated initial height is only accurate to two significant figures. Therefore, the final answer should be rounded to -3.4 m.

In summary, the initial height of the dropped stone cannot be determined with complete accuracy based on the given information. However, using the given time and the calculated initial velocity, we can determine that the stone was dropped from a height of approximately -3.4 m above the top of the window.

What is the equation used to determine the initial height of a dropped stone?

The equation used to determine the initial height of a dropped stone is h = 0.5 * g * t^2, where h is the initial height, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time it takes for the stone to fall past the window.

How do you calculate the acceleration due to gravity?

The acceleration due to gravity can be calculated using the equation g = 9.8 m/s^2, where g is the acceleration due to gravity and m/s^2 is the unit for acceleration.

Can the initial height be negative?

Yes, the initial height can be negative if the stone is dropped from a point below the window, such as from a balcony or a lower floor of a building.

What other factors can affect the accuracy of the calculation?

Other factors that can affect the accuracy of the calculation include air resistance, which can slow down the stone's fall, and the height of the window, which can affect the time it takes for the stone to fall past it.

Is the initial height the only factor needed to determine the stone's path?

No, the initial height is just one of the factors needed to determine the stone's path. Other factors such as the stone's mass, initial velocity, and air resistance also play a role in determining its path.