A car placed on incline and a mass placed on the car

  • Thread starter Thread starter eren.kizildag
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Car Incline Mass
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
eren.kizildag
Messages
5
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


The car of mass M is sliding on the incline. A mass of m is placed as shown. There is friction between m and M in the vertical surface of M . The incline is frictionless. System is released, and it is observed that m moves parallel to the incline. We are asked to find the kinetic coefficient of friction. (Angle is theta)


Homework Equations


Ff+masin(theta)=mg, N=macos(theta), Ff=Mk*N where Mk is the kinetic coefficient of friction. N is the reaction force between M and m.


The Attempt at a Solution


I have chosen the ordinary coordinate system. The masses must have same acceleration. (In both x and y direction). I also showed the friction force acting on m. And I wrote down reaction forces, but could not get the correct answer.

(I'm sorry, I am new at the forum, and I don't know how to use the forum properly. If I made a mistake about the body of the message, please forgive me.)
 
Attachments
  • Ads?z.jpg
    Ads?z.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 463
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello eren.kizildag. Welcome to Physics Forums.

Since m is not sliding on M, both M and m must be moving downslope together. Have you worked out the downslope acceleration of the pair as a function of g and θ ?
 
eren.kizildag said:
Yeah, but I got nothing.

No acceleration downslope? Perhaps you could show your calculation?