1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Challenge Problem in Techniques Of Problem Solving

1. Jun 18, 2010 #1

AK2

I just need a hint to solve the problem. The method used is illustrated in the example problem as follows:

I am supposed to imitate the method used in the example problem to solve the challenge problem in the book as follows

Imitate the method used in the last problem to find a formula for the sum
    12 + 22 + 32 + ... + k2

when k is a positive integer.

I have tried various things like (a+1)4 - a4, (a+1)3 - a3, triangle numbers, odd numbers, but I havent been able to solve it. I just need a hint. This is not a homework problem. This is self study.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2010 #2
    Use

[tex] (k+1)^3 - k^3 = 3k^2+3k+1[/tex]

and do summation on both side. By telescoping method, only 2 terms left in the left hand side. You need to do a little manipulation on the right hand side though.

4. Jun 18, 2010 #3
    Why not like the Contiguous Numbers: for example,P=1+2+3+4+5....+100 and the answer of P is (1+100)*100/2 , so the S=(1+k)*k/2

5. Jun 18, 2010 #4

AK2

Thanks for the hint
    I got my answer for S

S = (2k3+3k2+k)/6

6. Jun 18, 2010 #5
    You are right. You may want to do some factorization also.

[tex] S = \frac{ n(n+1)(2n+1)}{6}[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook