Chemistry Problem: Calculating Keq for N2O4 Gas Dissociation at 25oC

• Thread starter afcwestwarrior
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, Dinitrogen tetroxide (N2O4) is a colorless gas that can dissociate into NO2 (reddish-brown toxic gas) when in gaseous or liquid form. In a 5.0 liter container at 25oC, the equilibrium between N2O4 and NO2 has a Keq value of 0.002 when there is 1.00 mole of N2O4 and 0.1 mole of NO2 present. When the container is placed in an ice bath, the dissociation of N2O4 is endothermic, causing the gas to turn colorless. In Denver, where the temperature is cold, NO2 is formed due to
afcwestwarrior
Dinitrogen tetroxide, N2O4, is a colorless gas that boils at 21oC. As a gas, it is extensively dissociated to NO2. As a liquid, it is partly dissociated to NO2. NO2 is a reddish-brown toxic gas that makes up part of the brown cloud in Denver during the winter months.
N2O4 (g) <==> 2 NO2 (g)
a. At 25oC, 1.00 mole N2O4 is placed in a 5.0 liter container. At equilibrium, the container has 0.1 mole NO2 present. Calculate a numerical value for Keq.
b. At 25oC, the gas inside the container is reddish-brown. When this container is placed in an ice bath, the gas is colorless. Is the dissociation of N2O4 exothermic or endothermic? Explain. Calculate the heat of reaction to confirm your answer.
c. In the high altitude of Denver, the winter is cold. Explain why NO2 is formed in Denver in the winter and not in the summer.
d. Assuming the same conditions as Denver except at sea level, would you expect the brown cloud to form? Give reasons.
e. (Extra credit: 1 point) Which structure do you expect to more reactive, N2O4 or NO2? Give reasons.

i need help on a, so if u can help me help me please, i will show you my work.

Physics news on Phys.org
so here's what i did Keq= [NO2]2/[N2O4]

so what do i do, do i figure out the pressure of those chemicals or do i figure out there concentrations

here's what i did, 1mol/ 5 liters = .2 M and .1 mole/ 5 liters = .02

then i took .02^2 NO2/ .2 M N2O4 =.002 is this right, or do have to too do something else

this is right but I am sure if I am suppost to use those numbers

The original concentratio of N2O4 is certainly 0.2M but some of it has dissociated to form the NO2. Let x=[NO2], the Keq becomes:

Keq = [x}^2/[[N2O4]-x]

substitute and determine the Keq.

1. What is the first step in solving a chemistry problem?

The first step in solving a chemistry problem is to carefully read and understand the problem. This includes identifying the given information, what is being asked, and any relevant equations or concepts that may be needed.

2. How can I determine the correct units for my answer?

The correct units for your answer can be determined by checking the given units in the problem and the units of the final answer. Use conversion factors or dimensional analysis to make sure the units cancel out and you are left with the correct units for your answer.

3. What should I do if I get stuck on a step in a chemistry problem?

If you get stuck on a step in a chemistry problem, try to break it down into smaller parts and focus on one aspect at a time. You can also ask for help from a classmate, teacher, or tutor.

4. How can I check my answer to make sure it is correct?

You can check your answer by plugging it back into the original equation or using a calculator or online resource to double check your calculations. You can also compare your answer to the expected result or ask for feedback from a teacher or classmate.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a chemistry problem?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a chemistry problem include forgetting to account for units, using incorrect formulas or conversion factors, and not properly rounding significant figures in the final answer.