1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Clear LED emitting different coloured light?

1. Feb 23, 2012 #1
    Am I right in thinking the chip controlling the LED is applying more or less power to make electrons go to different energy levels to emit different colours of light?
    If any one could clear this up for me it would be much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2012 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The color of an LED is determined by the properties of the chip producing the light, not the color of the plastic cover.

4. Feb 23, 2012 #3
    Thanks for the reply but what properties affect the colour? I was after the fundamentals of how the LED works.
    Thanks

5. Feb 23, 2012 #4

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The basic property is the band gap in the semiconductor material that the LED is made from. Multi color LEDs have several LEDs made from different materials inside one package. Each one has a fixed color, but the brightness can be varied by controlling the current through it.

This is the same principle as the way computer or TV displays work, by changing the brightness of the red green and blue components of the light to produce the effect of any color.

To fully understand how this works, you also need to know how the eye (and brain!) detects the light and "decides" what color it is.

6. Feb 23, 2012 #5

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook