Project sharp shadows from LED

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a high-power LED light to project shadows of a fine metal mesh onto a wall. The speaker has found that placing a pinhole in front of the LED creates the sharpest shadows, as the LED's 4x4mm aperture causes some blur. They wonder if it is possible to focus the LED aperture to approximate a point source by using a convex lens, but their attempts have been unsuccessful and result in a projection of the LED die. The process of focusing the light onto a pinhole is called 'spatial filtering' and is helpful in achieving a point source.
muffinator
Using a high-power LED light (the surface mount kind, about 4x4mm with 120 degree viewing angle) I'd like to project shadows of a fine metal mesh onto a wall.

I have tried various lens arrangements and found that placing a pinhole in front of the LED makes the sharpest shadows. This makes sense, because the LED has an 'aperture' that is 4x4mm, so the shadows have some blur. Making the aperture smaller makes the shadows sharper.

I was wondering if it's possible to focus the 4x4mm LED aperture to approximate a point source. Wouldn't collimating the LED light, then passing it through a convex lens cause the light to focus at one point, effectively making a point source? I have tried many different lens configurations to attempt to achieve this, but none have been successful. All of my attempts result in a projection of the LED die.
Any help or insight is much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
muffinator said:
Using a high-power LED light (the surface mount kind, about 4x4mm with 120 degree viewing angle) I'd like to project shadows of a fine metal mesh onto a wall.

I have tried various lens arrangements and found that placing a pinhole in front of the LED makes the sharpest shadows. This makes sense, because the LED has an 'aperture' that is 4x4mm, so the shadows have some blur. Making the aperture smaller makes the shadows sharper.

I was wondering if it's possible to focus the 4x4mm LED aperture to approximate a point source. Wouldn't collimating the LED light, then passing it through a convex lens cause the light to focus at one point, effectively making a point source? I have tried many different lens configurations to attempt to achieve this, but none have been successful. All of my attempts result in a projection of the LED die.
Any help or insight is much appreciated!

LEDs are extended sources; the procedure you describe (focus the light onto a pinhole) is called 'spatial filtering' and will indeed help. It's important to use a pinhole aperture, tho.

What is "Project sharp shadows from LED"?

"Project sharp shadows from LED" is a scientific project that involves using LED lights to create sharp shadows in a controlled environment. It is a technique commonly used in photography and cinematography to create dramatic lighting effects.

How does "Project sharp shadows from LED" work?

This project works by directing the light emitted from LED lights onto a subject or object, creating a sharp shadow with well-defined edges. The direction, intensity, and color of the LED lights can be adjusted to achieve different shadow effects.

What materials are needed for "Project sharp shadows from LED"?

To complete this project, you will need LED lights, a power source, a lighting stand or mount, a subject or object to cast shadows on, and a dark or semi-dark room with a flat surface to project the shadows onto.

What are the applications of "Project sharp shadows from LED"?

This project has various applications, including photography, cinematography, stage lighting, and art installations. It can also be used in scientific experiments to study the behavior of light and shadows.

Are there any safety considerations when working on "Project sharp shadows from LED"?

Yes, it is essential to handle LED lights with caution as they can emit harmful levels of blue light and heat if used incorrectly. It is also crucial to use a stable power source and avoid touching the lights when they are in use to prevent electrical shocks.