1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A closed cylindrical can of fixed volume V has radius r

1. Sep 28, 2011 #1
    (a) Find the surface area, S, as a function of r.

S = 2*pi*r^2 + 2*pi*r*h

I know how the 2pi(r)^2 is found, but where does the 2*pi*r*h come from?

(b) What happens to the value of S as r goes to infinity?

S also goes to infinity. As r increases, S increases.

(c) Sketch a graph of S against r, if V = 10 cm^3

This is where I'm having trouble. I don't even know where to begin. Any help?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2011 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Where does it come from then? What part(s) of the cylinder haven't you accounted for?

You can express the volume V of the cylinder in terms of the radius r and height h. Then if you set V to 10, you can use this to derive an expression for h in terms of r (for example, if V would be V = h + r, then V = 10 would give you 10 = h + r, so h = 10 - r). You can plug that into the formula for S, which will leave you with only r as the variable.

Now try this one again. Remember, the volume is constant, so if r increases, h must decrease. Using the relation between h and r you found, you can rewrite S so that it depends on r and V only, then you can properly take the limit.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook