1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A compact, bounded, closed-range operator on a Hilbert space has finite rank

1. May 26, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let [itex]H[/itex] be an [itex]\infty[/itex]-dimensional Hilbert space and [itex]T:H\to{H}[/itex] be an operator.

Show that if [itex]T[/itex] is compact, bounded and has closed range, then [itex]T[/itex] has finite rank. Do not use the open-mapping theorem.

Let [itex]B(H)[/itex] denote the space of all bounded operators mapping [itex]H\to{H}[/itex], [itex]K(H)[/itex] denote the space of all compact operators mapping [itex]H\to{H}[/itex], [itex]R(H)[/itex] denote the space of all finite rank operators mapping [itex]H\to{H}[/itex].

2. Relevant defintions

*[itex]T\in{B(H)}[/itex] is compact if the closure of [itex]T(B(0,1))[/itex] is a compact set.
    *[itex]T\in{B(H)}[/itex] has finite rank if [itex]Range(T)=T(H)[/itex] is finite-dimensional.

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm not sure how to do the proof, but I think the following propositions in my lecture notes could be useful:

*[itex]T\in{R(H)}[/itex] iff [itex]T\in{B(H)}[/itex] is the norm limit of a sequence of finite rank operators, i.e. [itex]K(H)[/itex] is the closure of [itex]R(H)[/itex].
    *Let [itex]T\in{R(H)}[/itex]. Then there is an orthonormal set [itex]{{e_1,...,e_L}}\in{H}[/itex] s.t. [tex]Tu=\sum\limits_{i,j=1}^{L}{c_{ij}(u,e_j)e_i}[/tex] where [itex]c_{ij}[/itex] are complex numbers.

Any help with the proof would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited: May 26, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Do you know that compact operators can never be invertible on Hilbert spaces??

Given your compact operator T with closed range, can you modify the domain and codomain a bit such that T becomes a bijection between Hilbert spaces??

4. May 26, 2012 #3
    Thank you for your reply.

The next part of the question is to show that T is not invertible, so I can't use that fact.

T would be surjective if its image equalled its range, but the question defines these to be equal (under heading 2 in the original post), so T is already surjective. I'm not sure how to make T injective.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook