A conductive, non-corrosive liquid

• Thread starter Dino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Liquid
In summary, the person is looking for a conductive liquid that is also non-corrosive for a high-pressure and high-temperature project. They have already tried using salt water with a non-corrosive inhibitor but found it to not be "non-corrosive" enough. They have provided some details about the project, such as temperature and pressure requirements, but are still unsure about what type of fluid would work best. Suggestions have been made for certain types of metals, such as advanced steels with high molybdenum content, but the person is still looking for more information and guidance on which fluid to use.
Dino
Hey guys,

I am working on a project and I need to use use a conductive (even with poor conductivity) but non-corrosive liquid. I don't think that salt water with non corrosive inhibitor is "non-corrosive" enough.

This is not my major so I am kinda of stuck in the research until I find this, I hope you can give me some names.

Thank you,

Engineering news on Phys.org
It's going to take a little more detail than what you've given. We've played "Goldilocks" before: "How about this?" "Too hot." Have you got temperatures, time frames, other materials you're working with, minimum conductance.

Likes Dino
Dino said:
Hey guys,

I am working on a project and I need to use use a conductive (even with poor conductivity) but non-corrosive liquid. I don't think that salt water with non corrosive inhibitor is "non-corrosive" enough.

This is not my major so I am kinda of stuck in the research until I find this, I hope you can give me some names.

Thank you,
Thermal conductivity or electrical conductivity? What metal alloy is one using for the piping/tubing? What are the temperatures and pressures?

Likes Dino
Astronuc said:
Thermal conductivity or electrical conductivity? What metal alloy is one using for the piping/tubing? What are the temperatures and pressures?
electrical conductivity, the fluid is not in contact with any piping/tubing, however, I am worried from corrosion in copper coils which will be in contact with the fluid. High temperature (100 - 200 degree C) and high pressure (avg 2500 psi)

Thank you Astronuc

Bystander said:
It's going to take a little more detail than what you've given. We've played "Goldilocks" before: "How about this?" "Too hot." Have you got temperatures, time frames, other materials you're working with, minimum conductance.
Temperature is going to be high (100 to 200 degree C), I don't have a time frame but of course slower corrosion is more time so == much better (if that what you means). I only looked into water with 25% KCl and the electric conductivity was perfect for me, however the corrosion problem showed up and I don't know where/how to start looking for alternatives.

Thank you

Heat exchanger in an electrically heated bath, current flowing through bath, or bath is its own resistance element; high pressure in Cu tubing at 100 - 200 C. Don't tell me, let me guess, oxygen in the tubing at 100-200 C, and the tubing is the cathode for an oxygen/X fuel cell. Gonna be corrosive as all get out.

Kreskin is not here. Karnak the Magnificent is not here. Kenny Kingston and Madame Cleo are not available. The rest of the membership are not mind readers, and have no way of divining what information might or might not be useful to you. I've just given you an example of what can be put together with vague information and no details of what this is supposed to be, or what it's supposed to accomplish. You're developing a high pressure plating bath for chrome plating rifle bores for all we know, but we can't give you "magic" solutions for sparsely constrained problems.

Bystander said:
Heat exchanger in an electrically heated bath, current flowing through bath, or bath is its own resistance element; high pressure in Cu tubing at 100 - 200 C. Don't tell me, let me guess, oxygen in the tubing at 100-200 C, and the tubing is the cathode for an oxygen/X fuel cell. Gonna be corrosive as all get out.

Kreskin is not here. Karnak the Magnificent is not here. Kenny Kingston and Madame Cleo are not available. The rest of the membership are not mind readers, and have no way of divining what information might or might not be useful to you. I've just given you an example of what can be put together with vague information and no details of what this is supposed to be, or what it's supposed to accomplish. You're developing a high pressure plating bath for chrome plating rifle bores for all we know, but we can't give you "magic" solutions for sparsely constrained problems.

I don't want magical solutions, and I am sorry if the information in my question were confusing.
The help I need is in finding fluids that are non-corrosive, have a conductivity similar to that of salt water with 25% KCl (resistivity around 0.012 ohm.m at 100 C) and can operate at temperature as high as 200 C.
I know very little in this regard and don't know what other information might be relevant. I also didn't not expect that there are much fluids that satisfy my need (non-corrosive and not bad electric conductor) so that I have to give more information to narrow the options. Please let me know what other information do you see important/relevant.

Acetonitrile, and amides are out for the temperature range you require due to decomposition reactions/stability problems. Ethylene carbonate at 200 C? Probably same problems. Aqueous solutions containing dissolved electrolytes at those temperatures are very corrosive. Hg? Does not play well with Cu. You may be looking at an impossible problem, and this is the object of the interrogation --- there may be work-arounds, but no one is going to be able to help you find them without some idea of what you're trying to do.

Likes Dino
Gallium might be something you could use. Metallurgy with Cu? I've no idea. Reasonably inert. Oxidation resistance at the temperatures you want? Unknown.

Likes Dino
Bystander said:
Gallium might be something you could use. Metallurgy with Cu? I've no idea. Reasonably inert. Oxidation resistance at the temperatures you want? Unknown.
Thank you Bystander

I'm still not sure what fluid one wants in the pipe and outside/external to the pipe (tubing). Which is the hotter fluid?

Some advanced steels, e.g., 4-7 Mo stainless steels have shown good resistance to hot saltwater. Stainless steels like 254 SMO, 904L, 1925 hMo, 4565, AL-6XN, 654 SMO, and others with Mo up to 8% would probably work.

http://www.imoa.info/molybdenum-uses/molybdenum-grade-stainless-steels/steel-grades.php

http://www.swcc.gov.sa/files%5Cassets%5CResearch%5CTechnical%20Papers%5CCorrosion/EFFECT%20OF%20SEAWATER%20LEVEL%20ON%20CORROSION%20BEHAVIOR%20OF%20DIFFERENT%20.pdf [Broken]

http://www.swcc.gov.sa/files\assets\Research\Technical Papers\Corrosion/CORROSION BEHAVIOR OF SOME CONVENTIONALAND HIGH ALLOY STAINL.pdf [Broken]

http://www.outokumpu.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/Outokumpu-high-performance-austenitic-stainless-steel-data-sheet.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
There are copper-gallium solders. That would make me want to look more carefully at that.

Nevertheless, it's clear that the OP doesn't want to describe the application in detail. Fair enough, but that means we'll be playing 20 questions with him. "Nope. It can't be blue".

Astronuc said:
I'm still not sure what fluid one wants in the pipe and outside/external to the pipe (tubing). Which is the hotter fluid?

Some advanced steels, e.g., 4-7 Mo stainless steels have shown good resistance to hot saltwater. Stainless steels like 254 SMO, 904L, 1925 hMo, 4565, AL-6XN, 654 SMO, and others with Mo up to 8% would probably work.

http://www.imoa.info/molybdenum-uses/molybdenum-grade-stainless-steels/steel-grades.php

http://www.swcc.gov.sa/files%5Cassets%5CResearch%5CTechnical%20Papers%5CCorrosion/EFFECT%20OF%20SEAWATER%20LEVEL%20ON%20CORROSION%20BEHAVIOR%20OF%20DIFFERENT%20.pdf [Broken]

http://www.swcc.gov.sa/files\assets\Research\Technical Papers\Corrosion/CORROSION BEHAVIOR OF SOME CONVENTIONALAND HIGH ALLOY STAINL.pdf [Broken]

http://www.outokumpu.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/Outokumpu-high-performance-austenitic-stainless-steel-data-sheet.pdf
Sounds good
Thank you Astronuc I will give it a try

Last edited by a moderator:

What is a conductive, non-corrosive liquid?

A conductive, non-corrosive liquid is a type of liquid that has the ability to conduct electricity and does not cause damage or deterioration to the materials it comes in contact with.

What are some examples of conductive, non-corrosive liquids?

Some examples of conductive, non-corrosive liquids include distilled water, silicone oil, and mineral oil.

What are the uses of a conductive, non-corrosive liquid?

A conductive, non-corrosive liquid can be used in a variety of applications such as cooling systems, lubrication, and electronic equipment.

Is a conductive, non-corrosive liquid safe to handle?

Yes, a conductive, non-corrosive liquid is generally safe to handle. However, it is important to follow proper safety precautions and handle the liquid carefully to avoid any potential hazards.

What are the properties of a conductive, non-corrosive liquid?

The properties of a conductive, non-corrosive liquid include high electrical conductivity, low corrosive properties, and non-reactivity with other substances.