Exploring My College Decisions: Pro's and Con's

In summary, Woodfich is considering Caltech, Stanford, and Princeton universities for his engineering degree. He is worried about the amount of humanities courses he will have to take, but he is also worried about the social atmosphere at each campus. He recommends that you consider the schools based on their engineering programs and the amount of grade inflation each has. He also suggests that you look into Caltech's requirements.
woodfich
Hi everyone.

My plan has always been to major in engineering (electrical, mechanical or civil-structural, or even robotics, or nuclear, I'll decide which one specifically once I get a better grasp of each specialty IN college). However, while less probable, I have not discarded pure physics, and pure mathematics.

I applied to four colleges, Caltech, Stanford, Princeton and Yale. I have gotten admitted already to Caltech and think I have a decent shot at Stanford and Princeton (now that I have Caltech I don't really care about the Yale, or should I?). I receive their decisions starting at March 31.

Anyways, if I got admitted to Stanford and Princeton, I would be facing a tough decision.

What do you guys think about these?

Thanks for your input. Pro's and Con's of said colleges is very appreciated.

Edit: It is worth mentioning that I am already sick of the humanities. If it were up to me, I would just take scientific courses, and that one of the most attractive things about Caltech. The only thing that is holding me back from it is that, even though I enjoy intellectual conversations, I'm afraid it might be WAY too nerdy. I mean I'm going to be there from 18-22, I also want to have fun (and hot chicks). Any thoughts on this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Very impressive, woodfich. No small feat getting into any of those schools - well done!

Do you have resources to go visit each campus? It would be helpful in making your decision. School web sites can give you only a limited amount of data on which to base your decision.

My (admittedly limited) experience with Princeton's engineering department didn't leave a good impression with me. However, from what I understand not many people consider it a top department like stanford and caltech

Thanks for the responses

lisab said:
Very impressive, woodfich. No small feat getting into any of those schools - well done!

Do you have resources to go visit each campus?

In response to your question, luckily I have. I plan on going to each campus once I get the two other decisions. However, I am trying to get as much information from as many different sources before I decide (campus visit is a VERY important one, but I also want to listen to people's opinion's). It's kind of different for me in the sense that I am not from the US, and there are a very limited number of people here who actually know something about these universities. In fact, to be honest, I had never even heard about Caltech until like 6 months ago when I started to seriously think of applying to the US.

woodfich said:
Edit: It is worth mentioning that I am already sick of the humanities. If it were up to me, I would just take scientific courses, and that one of the most attractive things about Caltech. The only thing that is holding me back from it is that, even though I enjoy intellectual conversations, I'm afraid it might be WAY too nerdy. I mean I'm going to be there from 18-22, I also want to have fun (and hot chicks). Any thoughts on this?
Have you looked at Caltech's requirements.
http://www.admissions.caltech.edu/learning/core
12 terms of humanities
2 terms of writing
MIT also has a big humanities requirements.

The tech schools are more aggressive at forcing the humanities on you than non-tech schools.

I would chose Stanford because
a) They have more grade inflation than any of the other schools on your list. That doesn't hurt if youre planning to go to grad school or even for a job search.
b) They appear to have an equal or better engineering program than Princeton
c) Less humanities courses
d) The location is not that bad.
e) Caltech's male/female ratio is dismal and relationships are close
to being subject to the pigeonhole principle.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are the benefits of exploring my college decisions?

Exploring your college decisions allows you to make an informed decision about which college is the best fit for you. It can help you identify the strengths and weaknesses of each college and determine which one aligns with your academic, personal, and career goals.

2. How can I evaluate the pros and cons of different colleges?

To evaluate the pros and cons of different colleges, it is important to research and gather information about each college. This can include factors such as academic programs, campus resources, location, cost, and student life. You can also visit the campus, attend college fairs, and talk to current students and alumni to gain a better understanding of each college.

3. Should I only focus on the pros when making my college decision?

No, it is important to consider both the pros and cons of each college. While the pros may be enticing, it is important to also consider any potential challenges or drawbacks that may come with attending a particular college. This will help you make a well-rounded and informed decision.

4. How can I make the most out of exploring my college decisions?

To make the most out of exploring your college decisions, it is important to start early and be organized. Create a list of the colleges you are interested in and set aside time to research each one thoroughly. Additionally, attend college fairs and events, reach out to admissions counselors, and talk to current students to gather as much information as possible.

5. What if I am still unsure after exploring my college decisions?

If you are still unsure after exploring your college decisions, consider scheduling a visit to the campus or attending an admitted student event. This can give you a better feel for the college and help you make a final decision. You can also seek advice from trusted mentors, such as teachers or guidance counselors, to help you weigh your options. Remember, it is okay to be unsure, and ultimately the decision should be based on what feels right for you.