1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A determinant containing a variable

1. Jan 15, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have this 4x4 determinant and usually these are just mechanical work, until I stumbled upon one containing x, how should one go about solving these type of determinants?
    [x 2x 4 x ]
    [1 2 2x 1 ]
    [2x x-1 2 3x]
    [ 2 x+1 x+3 x-1]
    What are the different values of x?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've tried ellimination and by using cofactors. When fully computed, it will be a polynomial of the 4th degree, as one probably can see.
    Ellimination didn't make it simpler to factorize and cofactors just solved it until the polynomial popped up at the end-

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2013 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

What did you get?

4. Jan 15, 2013 #3
    8x4-22x3-22x2+47x+3

5. Jan 15, 2013 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Is this your determinant?$$
    \left|\begin{array}{cccc}
    x & 2x & 4 & x \\
    1 & 2 & 2x & 1\\
    2x & x-1 & 2 & 3x\\
    2 & x+1 & x+3 & x-1
    \end{array}\right|$$
    If so, your last two terms should be ##44x+12##. Still, once you have the polynomial correct, you haven't said what you are supposed to do with it. It doesn't make sense to ask "what are the different values of ##x##".

6. Jan 16, 2013 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The different values of x that give the determinant what property? That it be 0? That it not be 0?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook