1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A differential equation problem

1. Mar 27, 2007 #1
    I'm not sure how to solve the following problem. It's quite unlike the other problems I've had to solve since I started learning about differential equations. Can anybody help?

A disease spreads at a speed that is proportional to the multiplier of healthy and sick people. Let's call the sick quotient of a group x and the quotient of healthy people 1 - x. Then we have dx / dt = kx(1 - x). If half of the group is sick and the disease spreads at a constant speed, every member of the group will be sick in 24 days time. Then we have x = 1/2 , 1 - x = 1/2 and dx / dt = (1/2)/24 = 1/48 , so 1/48 = k * 1/2 * 1/2 <=> k = 1/12 , which gives dx / dt = 1/12 x(1 - x). Calculate how big a fraction of the group is sick in 12 days time.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2007 #2
    Hint: Separate the variables and then integrate, do you know how to integrate partial fractions?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?