A feather and a ball falling with air resistance

In summary, the task is to estimate the terminal velocity and drag coefficient of a feather dropped from a height of 2.2 m at the same time as a steel ball of equal mass (0.014 kg), given that the feather hits the floor 3.5 s after the steel ball. The equation mg-cv=ma is used to calculate the terminal velocity as v=(mg/c)(1-e^(-ct/m)) and it is suggested to assume negligible air resistance for the steel ball to help estimate c and obtain a numerical answer.
BSH

Homework Statement

Suppose you drop a feather and a steel ball of equal masses (0.014 kg) at the same time from a height of 2.2 m and you are told that the feather hits the floor 3.5 s after the steel ball. Estimate the value of the terminal velocity of the feather in air. Then, estimate the feather's drag coefficient.

Homework Equations

mg - cv = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I did the calculus as I've done many times before and got that v=(mg/c)(1-e^(-ct/m)) and the terminal veocity = mg/c. The only other thing I feel I could do is assume the air resistance experienced by the ball is negligible, but I don't know how that helps me if I know so little about the feather.

Physics news on Phys.org
Follow-up: do I have to use conservation of energy?

BSH said:

Homework Statement

Suppose you drop a feather and a steel ball of equal masses (0.014 kg) at the same time from a height of 2.2 m and you are told that the feather hits the floor 3.5 s after the steel ball. Estimate the value of the terminal velocity of the feather in air. Then, estimate the feather's drag coefficient.

Homework Equations

mg - cv = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I did the calculus as I've done many times before and got that v=(mg/c)(1-e^(-ct/m)) and the terminal veocity = mg/c. The only other thing I feel I could do is assume the air resistance experienced by the ball is negligible, but I don't know how that helps me if I know so little about the feather.
I think that you should be able to calculate, or at least estimate c, to get a numerical answer for the terminal velocity of the feather. You know how long the steel ball is in the air (it's safe to assume no air resistance), and you know that the feather takes 3.5 sec. longer.

I haven't worked through this problem, but that's the tack I would take.

With air resistance there is no "conservation if energy".

What is air resistance?

Air resistance, also called drag, is the force that opposes the motion of an object through air. It is caused by the interaction between the object's surface and the air molecules it comes into contact with.

How does air resistance affect the motion of a feather and a ball falling?

Air resistance affects the motion of a feather and a ball falling by slowing down their acceleration and reducing their speed. This is because air resistance acts in the opposite direction of the object's motion, creating an upward force that counteracts the force of gravity.

Why does a feather fall slower than a ball with air resistance?

A feather falls slower than a ball with air resistance because it has a larger surface area and less mass, which means it experiences a greater amount of air resistance compared to the ball. This results in a lower net force and slower acceleration.

How can we calculate the air resistance on a feather and a ball?

The calculation of air resistance on a feather and a ball depends on various factors such as their shape, size, and speed. It can be estimated using mathematical equations such as the drag equation, which takes into account these variables to determine the force of air resistance.

Can air resistance ever be completely eliminated?

No, air resistance cannot be completely eliminated. However, it can be reduced by changing the shape or surface texture of an object, as well as by decreasing its speed. In a vacuum, where there is no air, there is no air resistance, so objects would fall at the same rate regardless of their shape or size.