Calculating the Solution for a Falling Object with Air Resistance

• Thread starter Opressor
  • Start date
In summary: If ##J_n## has closed form, we then have to solve the equation ##J_n(v)=t+C\Rightarrow v=…## which I believe would not be possible, so the solution will not be in explicit form.
Opressor

Homework Statement

A body falling under the action of the drag force of the air -βvn
n ∈ ℤ
m= mass
v= velocity
g= 9,8m/s2
β= coefficient of air resistance

Homework Equations

m(dv/dt)= mg-βvn

The Attempt at a Solution

I can not resolve to any integer (n)

Physics news on Phys.org
$$m\frac {dv} {dt} =mg- β v^n$$

Last edited:
You can use separation of variables to solve the case for n=2 (maybe it can be applied to higher n as well).
##\frac{dv}{dt}=g(1-\frac{\beta}{mg}v^2)\Rightarrow \frac{dv}{g(1-\frac{\beta}{mg}v^2)}=dt## and now all you have to do is integrate both sides.
You can take a look at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminal_velocity#Derivation_for_terminal_velocity if you want more details (click show on that derivation link in the Wikipedia page).

Likes Opressor
Delta2 said:
You can use separation of variables to solve the case for n=2 (maybe it can be applied to higher n as well).
##\frac{dv}{dt}=g(1-\frac{\beta}{mg}v^2)\Rightarrow \frac{dv}{g(1-\frac{\beta}{mg}v^2)}=dt## and now all you have to do is integrate both sides.
You can take a look at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminal_velocity#Derivation_for_terminal_velocity if you want more details (click show on that derivation link in the Wikipedia page).
thank you

Likes Delta2
Does it treat this equation as Bernoulli's equation?

$$\frac {dy} {dx}\ +P(x)=Q(x)y^n$$

Bernoulli's differential equation is slightly different, it has a y-term it is ##\frac{dy}{dx}+P(x)y=Q(x)y^n##.

Are you sure that n is allowed to take values higher than 2? Because the drag force cases I know are either n=1 or n=2, never heard of a drag force ##-bv^3##.

In case that ##n\geq 3## it seems that the solution involves calculation of the following integral

$$\int \frac{dv}{1-av^n}$$

which doesn't have a closed form, so I believe (I am not completely sure) that for ##n\geq 3## the solution doesn't have a closed form.

Last edited:
Likes Opressor
Delta2 said:
Bernoulli's differential equation is slightly different, it has a y-term it is ##\frac{dy}{dx}+P(x)y=Q(x)y^n##.

Are you sure that n is allowed to take values higher than 2? Because the drag force cases I know are either n=1 or n=2, never heard of a drag force ##-bv^3##.

In case that ##n\geq 3## it seems that the solution involves calculation of the following integral

which doesn't have a closed form, so I believe (I am not completely sure) that for ##n\geq 3## the solution doesn't have a closed form.
If ##J_n = \int 1/(1-a v^n) \, dv,## then
Maple gets J34 = -(1/3)*ln(v-(1/a)^(1/3))/(a*(1/a)^(2/3))+(1/6)*ln(v^2+v*(1/a)^(1/3)+(1/a)^(2/3))/(a*(1/a)^(2/3))+(1/3)*3^(1/2)*arctan((1/3)*3^(1/2)*(2*v/(1/a)^(1/3)+1))/(a*(1/a)^(2/3))
and
J4 = (1/2)*(1/a)^(1/4)*arctan(v/(1/a)^(1/4))+(1/4)*(1/a)^(1/4)*ln((v+(1/a)^(1/4))/(v-(1/a)^(1/4)))

Furthermore, these check out when differentiating them wrt v.

Both of these are closed forms.

What is even more surprising to me is that Maple gets a (lengthy and horrible) closed-form for J5.

Likes Opressor and Delta2
Well ok, to be honest I check it with wolfram and it showed as result the incomplete beta function of some sort.

Even if ##J_n## has closed form, we then have to solve the equation ##J_n(v)=t+C\Rightarrow v=…## which I believe would not be possible, so the solution will not be in explicit form.

Likes Opressor
Delta2 said:

You could expand the integrand using partial fractions and then integrate each term. It's probably not that bad of a calculation, actually, now that I think about it.

Likes Opressor

1. What is the first step in solving an equation?

The first step in solving an equation is to identify the type of equation it is. Is it linear, quadratic, exponential, etc.? This will determine the appropriate method for solving it.

2. How do I isolate the variable in an equation?

To isolate the variable, you need to perform the same operation on both sides of the equation. For example, if the variable is being multiplied by a number, you would divide both sides by that number. This will cancel out the operation on one side and leave the variable alone on the other side.

3. What do I do with fractions in an equation?

If the equation contains fractions, you can eliminate them by multiplying both sides of the equation by the least common denominator (LCD). This will result in whole numbers on both sides, making the equation easier to solve.

4. How do I check my solution to an equation?

To check your solution, simply plug your answer back into the original equation. If both sides of the equation are equal, then your solution is correct. If they are not equal, you may have made a mistake in your calculations.

5. What if I can't solve the equation?

If you are having trouble solving an equation, try breaking it down into smaller, simpler steps. You can also seek help from a teacher, tutor, or online resources. Remember, practice makes perfect and solving equations takes time and patience.