1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Few Inductor/Capacitor Problems - Am I going in the right direction?

1. Oct 9, 2006 #1
    Hey,

I've got a couple of problems here that seem pretty simple... And I've worked through them and everything, I just have no basis of comparison, no way to even remotley guess if I'm doing the right/wrong thing. At all... What I'm doing makes sense, but I was wondering if someone could possibly glance through these and tell me if what I'm doing is correct??

First Problem:
    The voltlage across a 2F capacitor is given by the waveform (on the left). Find the waveform for the current in the capacitor.

(Work shown with my waveform to right)
    [​IMG]

Second Problem:
    The voltage across a 2H inductor is given by the waveform shown below. Find the wave form for the curren in the inductor.
    [​IMG]

My answer:
    [​IMG]

Third Problem:
    Find the value of C if the energy stored in the capacitor below equals the energy stored in the inductor.
    [​IMG]

My steps:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fourth Problem:
    Given the network shown below, find the (a) equivalent resistance at terminals A-B with terminals C-D short circuited, and (b) the equivlaent inductance at terminals C-D with terminals A-B open circuited.
    [​IMG]

Now, I'm a bit confused about this one... I've never really encountered anything like this... In part a, I figure I'd treat this circuit like it were a bunch of resistors being shorted, so I end up with 20mH+6mH, which gives me 26mH...

And then for part b (this is where I'm lost), would I just treat this like a ladder of resistors? I know inductors act like resistors in that you add them up when they're in serial and add their inverses when in parallel... So would I have 20mH+12mH+6mH=38mH in parallel with the 5mH... And I get a nuts answer like 190/43=4.4186mH

How would I approach this? I'm a bit lost.

Thanks much for your time!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2006 #2

SGT

The first and third problems are correct. For the second problem, the answer is correct in the interval 0-2s. In the interval 2-4s the voltage is zero, so the current must remain constant at 5A (you are adding a null area). From 4s to 6s you have a negative voltage, so the current will drop to zero and remain there afterwards, since the voltage is zero.
    In the fourth problem, if you short-circuit terminals C and D, the 20mH and 5mH inductors will be in parallel (one common terminal at A and another common terminal at CD). In the same way the 6mH and 12mH inductors will also be in parallel.
    For part b, untwist the circuit, putting A and D at the left and B and C at the right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?