1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thevenin's Theorem - Dependent Source + Resistor

1. Oct 3, 2006 #1
    Hey,

I'm having a bit of difficulty with this one. I spoke to my professor specifically about this problem, he worked through it, I understood him, and I worked through it later in the day. I still get it, I worked through it, and there's step at the end that we both did differently. It seems like a simple KCL thing, but here's the problem:

Find the Thevenin equivalent of the network in the figure at the terminals A-B.
    [​IMG]

This is what I did:
    [​IMG]

Now, what we did differently was what I circled as step six. Focusing on Node 2. It was finding the incoming current from point A. I just used KCL because I had the two other currents, and that's what it looks like my professor did.

However, he somehow gets 3Ix as an answer for Isc, which would give him a final answer of 333ohms.

What exactly did he do? Or is he the one making the error??

I get (5/2)Ix for Isc, which gives me 400ohms as a final answer.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2006 #2
    Your solution looks good to me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?