A few problems i've come across some trouble with.

• Thread starter icesalmon
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses two problems related to finding the break-even sales and the slope of a conveyor. The first problem involves calculating the break-even sales using the cost and revenue equations, which leads to a quadratic equation that can be solved using the quadratic formula. The second problem asks for the slope and length of a conveyor given the vertical and horizontal distances. The slope is calculated using the slope formula, and the length can be found by setting up a proportional equation.
icesalmon
1. Find the sales necessary to break even (R=C) if the cost C of producing x units is

Given...

Homework Equations

C = 5.5((sqrt(x)) + 10,000 (Cost Equation).
R = 3.29x (Revenue Equation).

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought about what R = C means, your output is equivalent to your input, no? So I followed (R=C) and set the two equations equal; after calculating I come across a quadratic which isn't factorable, so I use the quadratic forumla which doesn't yield answers close to the actual value for x which is approximately equal to 3133 units.

Homework Statement

The next problem asks me about a Conveyor design...
"A moving conveyor is built to rise 1 meter for each 3 meters of horizontal change
Find:
A). The slope of the conveyor
B). Suppose the Conveyor runs between two floors in a factory. Find the length of the conveyor if the vertical distance between floors is 10 feet.

Homework Equations

m = (y_2 - y_1) / (x_2 - x_1) The slope forumla ( sorry I haven't been aquainted with LaTeX yet, and I didn't have any of the greek letters, delta, copied.)

Well, slope is a measure of vertical rise relative to horizontal shifts so the slope, m, is 1 meter up for every 3 meters right. When I make an attempt at the second problem I just think the distance is 20...I know it's completely wrong but I'm at a loss when trying to interperet some of these questions. Thank you all for your time in advance.

Homework Equations

Physics news on Phys.org
Re problem #1: show us what you have for your quadratic. Because I tried it and I was able to get 3133 as one of the solutions.

Re problem #2: Yes, 20 is wrong. This is just a proportional problem. If the conveyor rises 1 meter for every 3 meters of horizontal distance, what would the horizontal distance be if the conveyor rises 10 feet? (You notice that you have two different units, right? Not that it really matters here.)

eumyang said:
Re problem #1: show us what you have for your quadratic. Because I tried it and I was able to get 3133 as one of the solutions.

Re problem #2: Yes, 20 is wrong. This is just a proportional problem. If the conveyor rises 1 meter for every 3 meters of horizontal distance, what would the horizontal distance be if the conveyor rises 10 feet? (You notice that you have two different units, right? Not that it really matters here.)

For Problem #1 I have (x-3039.513678)2 = 2.794689628x, I divided by 3.29 on all sides.

For problem #2 the horizontal distance would be 30. I do notice I have feet and meters, the conversion doesn't matter in this step?

Last edited:
Recheck your work for mistakes:

For Problem #1 I have (x-3039.513678)2 = 2.794689628x, I divided by 3.29 on all sides.

Equating R and C, a couple of steps should lead to the equivalent of maybe this:

3.29x - 10000 = 5.5[tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex],
and further algebraic steps should be able to give this:

3.292x2-(5.52+2*32900)x+108=0;

Which only may need a slight bit of calculation before using the solution to Quadratic Formula. Substitute corresponding values.

EDIT: included a multiplication by 2, using asterisk as the multiplication symbol. eumyang in #5 found my mistake in which factor of 2 was missing.

Last edited:
symbolipoint said:
3.292x2-(5.52+32900)x+108=0;
This is almost correct; that 32900 should be multiplied by 2.

icesalmon said:
I have no idea how you got this. What did you do exactly? Show all steps.

This is what you should do:
[tex]3.29x = 5.5\sqrt{x} + 10000[/tex]
Subtract 10000 from both sides, square both sides, and put all terms on one side. Your quadratic should look like this afterwards:
[tex]10.8241x^2 - 65,830.25x + 100,000,000 = 0[/tex]

Re: in problem #2, yes, the different units do not matter.

I divide by 3.29 to get x = (5.5)/(3.29)(sqrt(x)) + 10,000/3.29 or 3039.51678
I move 10000/3.29, or 3039.51678, over to the right and get ( x - 3039.51678 ) = 1.7sqrt(x)
I square both sides so I can get that root(x) out of the way to get ( x - 3039.51678 )2 = 2.794689628x
I factor out the left and move the 2.794689628x over
It doesn't factor, so I use the quadratic formula.

icesalmon said:
I divide by 3.29 to get x = (5.5)/(3.29)(sqrt(x)) + 10,000/3.29 or 3039.51678
I move 10000/3.29, or 3039.51678, over to the right and get ( x - 3039.51678 ) = 1.7sqrt(x)
I square both sides so I can get that root(x) out of the way to get ( x - 3039.51678 )2 = 2.794689628x
I factor out the left and move the 2.794689628x over
It doesn't factor, so I use the quadratic formula.
If you really want to divide by 3.29 first, then after following your steps, you should get this for your quadratic (approx.):
[tex]x^2 - 6,081.82x + 9,238,643.40 = 0[/tex]

I'm still getting ~3133 as one of the solutions.

eumyang said:
If you really want to divide by 3.29 first, then after following your steps, you should get this for your quadratic (approx.):
[tex]x^2 - 6,081.82x + 9,238,643.40 = 0[/tex]

I'm still getting ~3133 as one of the solutions.

Got it, I must have put the numbers in incorrectly. Although a goofy mistake to say the least one that has plagued me for a while. Thanks for your time.

1. What are some common problems that scientists face?

Some common problems that scientists face include difficulties with obtaining funding, encountering unexpected results or experimental errors, dealing with ethical concerns, and effectively communicating their findings to a wider audience.

2. How do scientists troubleshoot problems in their research?

Scientists troubleshoot problems in their research by carefully analyzing their methods and data, consulting with colleagues or experts in the field, and conducting further experiments or investigations to identify and address the cause of the problem.

3. What are some strategies for overcoming obstacles in scientific research?

Some strategies for overcoming obstacles in scientific research include being open-minded and adaptable, seeking out alternative approaches or methods, collaborating with others, and persistently pursuing solutions even when faced with setbacks.

4. How do scientists ensure the validity and reliability of their findings?

Scientists ensure the validity and reliability of their findings by following rigorous scientific methods, conducting experiments with proper controls, replicating their results, and subjecting their work to peer review and scrutiny from the scientific community.

5. How do scientists handle conflicting or controversial results?

Scientists handle conflicting or controversial results by carefully evaluating the evidence, considering alternative explanations, and engaging in open and respectful discussions with other researchers to reach a consensus or further investigate the issue.