A few questions regarding Astrophysics ;

In summary, the conversation discusses the necessary subjects for becoming an astrophysicist, the job availability and research in the field, recommended books for learning about fundamental topics, and employment opportunities outside of academia. It is recommended to have a strong background in physics, computer science, and math, and there is a surplus of astrophysicists compared to available jobs. The book "Introduction to Modern Astrophysics" by Carroll & Ostlie is suggested for learning about topics such as dark matter, dark energy, and black holes. Employment options for astrophysicists include academia, national labs, observatories, and NASA.
dreamLord
I'm currently a second year undergrad student, in a three year Bachelors program of Physics. I've been trying to read up a little on Astrophysics(to pursue it in grad school), and have a few questions regarding the field :

1. What are the subjects(at an undergrad level) one must be an expert of in order to be a good Astrophysicist? By subjects I mean Classical Mechanics, E&M, Thermal Physics etc etc. I suppose Classical Mechanics and General Relativity are a must - what else?

2. Is there either a dearth, or an excess of Astrophysicists in the world today? This question is regarding job availability and current research. Is Astrophysics a relatively uncharted field? Are there still many fundamental questions waiting to be answered?

4. Where, other than in academia, are Astrophysicists employed?

3. I don't have much knowledge outside of my textbooks, so what are some good books that talk about Dark Matter, Dark Energy, Black Holes etc (the fundamental topics of Astrophysics if you may.) I suppose I could wikipaedia all of them, but I feel I understand better from books.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
1. A physics major is a good start. If you can take any computer science (programming) and astronomy courses along with that, do so. And a lot of math, of course.

2. We produce more astrophysicists/astronomers than we can employ, and funding is getting worse. Every job ad will get hundreds of qualified applicants. You need to be willing to move just about anywhere to take a job. There are plenty of questions out there to answer, and no lack of research topics, just a lack of funding.

3. Introduction to Modern Astrophysics by Carroll & Ostlie is the new classic text for upper level undergrads/ first year grad students, covering pretty much everything at that level.

4. Colleges and universities employ most of us. The rest work for national labs, observatories, and NASA. There are very few in industry. And many of us get jobs based on our physics, math, or computer programming skills rather than our specific astronomy skills.

1. What is astrophysics?

Astrophysics is a branch of astronomy that deals with the physical properties and processes of celestial objects and phenomena, such as stars, galaxies, and the universe as a whole.

2. What does an astrophysicist do?

An astrophysicist studies the properties and behavior of celestial objects and phenomena using the principles of physics and mathematics. They use various tools and techniques, such as telescopes and computer simulations, to collect and analyze data and make discoveries about the universe.

3. What are some subfields of astrophysics?

Subfields of astrophysics include cosmology, the study of the origin, evolution, and structure of the universe; stellar astrophysics, the study of stars and their properties; and planetary science, the study of planets and other objects in our solar system.

4. How does astrophysics relate to other fields of science?

Astrophysics is a multidisciplinary field that combines principles and techniques from physics, mathematics, chemistry, and other sciences. It also has strong connections to other areas of astronomy, such as observational astronomy and planetary science, as well as engineering and technology.

5. What are some current areas of research in astrophysics?

Some current areas of research in astrophysics include the search for dark matter and dark energy, the study of exoplanets and their potential for life, and the investigation of the early universe and the nature of the Big Bang. Other areas of interest include black holes, gravitational waves, and the formation and evolution of galaxies.