A flaw in the wavelenght/frequency formula? FTW?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter potmobius
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Formula
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
potmobius
Messages
48
Reaction score
0
a flaw in the wavelength/frequency formula?? FTW?

c equals lambda/frequency, and c is a constant.

SO. In order for c to remain constant, as lambda increases, frequency should also increase, and vice versa. But that doesn't happen in the electromagnetic spectrum. The EM spectrum shows that as wavelength increases, frequency decreases (as we go from UV to IR) and vice versa. Then how does c remain constant, and does the equation remain valid?
 
Physics news on Phys.org


potmobius said:
c equals lambda/frequency, and c is a constant.
That's incorrect. The correct relationship is: c = λf (not c = λ/f).
 


lol! I feel so stupid right now! hahahaha. I knew it would be something obvious, because I wasnt thinking straight when I posted this :P