Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A formula for calculating wind speeds?

1. Oct 8, 2012 #1
    This is pretty simple,but finding the correct formula does not seem to be that easy for me.

How could I calculate wind speeds with only having the distance an object moved over a certain amount of time and the weight of said object?

For example,winds caused a 600lb object to travel 30 meters in a second.

How would I approach this?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2012 #2

cjl

That's really not enough information to tell you anything, other than that the wind speed would need to be at least 30 m/s (which is a pretty strong wind - that's almost 70mph minimum).

4. Oct 13, 2012 #3
    What else would be needed?Ok I will draw a model to better depict what I am talking about.

5. Oct 13, 2012 #4
    Alright, here we are.

XfOHW.png

6. Oct 13, 2012 #5

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The object moves on the floor? You need the coefficient of friction of the object on the ground, the surface area of the object in the wind and its geometric shape, in addition to the parameters you already have.

It is easier to you throw some light object in the air - it will fly with the velocity of the wind.

7. Oct 13, 2012 #6
    Why would the object stop after 30m? Is the wind blowing in short bursts? Then the distance will depend on the duration of the burst.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook