Can Moving Water Freeze? - Holiday Question

• Thread starter InFiNitY1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Freezing
In summary: The shaking would not significantly change the temperature of the water, so it would not affect the freezing process. The freezing point of water is dependent on pressure, so the movement of the water would not have a significant impact on it. In summary, shaking a jar of water in a freezer would not significantly affect the freezing process of the water, as the movement and kinetic energy would not change the freezing point or temperature of the water.
InFiNitY1
Hi

Its the holidays and i was just thinking if you have a jar with some water in it and you put it in a freezer say 0 degrees and the jar is constantly being shaken rapidly would the water freeze up over time? or simply if a body of water is moving does the freezing point decrease in proportion of how fast the water is moving?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
well...
as I see it , when you shake the jar you increase the water`s temperature.
for the second part of the question,by moving the jer at a constant speed the system is undisterbed(no extra forces) and thus the water will freeze.

Belick, I have a doubt, does Drag force in fluids act inbetween the particles of same fluid. In that case the body is moving with uniform speed nullifying the Drag force.

Depending on how vigorously you shake it (and considering other turbulence factors, such as the shape of the jar and amount of water in the jar vs. empty), you would increase the temperature a little bit. I'm not sure how much, or whether it would be a significant amount.

What would more likely happen is that the water would freeze in about the same length of time (or a little longer) as an undistrurbed setup.

But, it would freeze differently. The water would start turning to slush rather than ice, like in a tray. It would appear to stay liquid longer, but that's really because you are forcing all the water to cool before any of it solidifies. (That's how you make ice cream).

The shaken jar would ultimately be frozen about the same time as an undisturbed jar but it would be hard to verify this, as it would be difficult to pin down exactly when all the water is frozen in each sample.

Wierd Frozen Bottle

Recently it was cold as all get out here (Chicago). I think it was around -10F. What happened to me was that I left a bottle of Aquafina in the car. I went and got in the car and noticed the bottle. I noticed it was still liquid. I touched the bottle and it froze over the course of a 2 to 3 seconds starting from the point where I touched it. Anyone know what this is called. I vaguely remember hearing about this in the past but can't remember what I'm looking for. I searched for freezing water and shock and came up with this thread.

InFiNitY1 said:
Hi

Its the holidays and i was just thinking if you have a jar with some water in it and you put it in a freezer say 0 degrees and the jar is constantly being shaken rapidly would the water freeze up over time? or simply if a body of water is moving does the freezing point decrease in proportion of how fast the water is moving?

thanks

Would this not be a simple equation? Each time you "shake" the jar, you add a certain amount of kinetic energy (k). If k < avg (k2) of freezer then the water will freeze. If k is larger than k2 you will end up thawing your freezer instead.

Disclaimer: I'm no physicist.

k

FAQ: Can Moving Water Freeze? - Holiday Question

1. Can moving water freeze?

Yes, moving water can freeze. Moving water can freeze at a slower rate compared to still water, but it can still freeze if the temperature is low enough.

2. Why does moving water freeze at a slower rate?

Moving water has kinetic energy, which means its molecules are constantly moving and colliding with each other. This movement prevents the water from freezing quickly because it takes more energy to form the rigid structure of ice.

3. Can moving water freeze instantly?

No, moving water cannot freeze instantly. Freezing is a process that takes time, and even with extremely low temperatures, it would still take some time for moving water to freeze completely.

4. What factors affect the freezing of moving water?

The temperature, flow rate, and impurities in the water can affect the freezing of moving water. Lower temperatures and slower flow rates can cause water to freeze faster. Impurities, such as salt or dirt, can also lower the freezing point of water, causing it to freeze at a lower temperature.

5. Does the shape of the container affect the freezing of moving water?

Yes, the shape of the container can affect the freezing of moving water. A wider and shallower container can freeze faster because it has a larger surface area, allowing more heat to escape. A taller and narrower container may take longer to freeze because it has a smaller surface area, trapping more heat inside.