A good latex editor for windows?

In summary, a good latex editor for windows should have a clean and user-friendly interface, customizable features, and advanced tools for editing and managing large projects. It should also have a comprehensive help and support system, as well as compatibility with other software and platforms. Some popular options include Texmaker, Texstudio, and Overleaf. Ultimately, the best latex editor for windows will depend on the specific needs and preferences of the user.
feynomite
I was hoping someone could recommend a nice GUI for equation editing that can output Latex... so I can copy and paste into my future posts, rather than struggling to use the inline Latex Reference thing provided (though it is still pretty cool).

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
feynomite said:
I was hoping someone could recommend a nice GUI for equation editing that can output Latex... so I can copy and paste into my future posts, rather than struggling to use the inline Latex Reference thing provided (though it is still pretty cool).

Thanks!

I saw your post and looked for something simple (when one does not need Maple or Scientific Notebook) and I found this:

http://www.latexeditor.org/

I am not certain it will do math but there are extensions available for download.

I use Linux and apparently the thing to use in Linux for this is Kile.

Thanks Polly.

I already downloaded that and gave it a shot... it makes no sense to me how to work the thing.

I just want something where it shows me a ton of symbols, I can choose one, and fill in whatever parameters it needs. When I'm done, it should export tex script (or whatever it's called).

The "Latex Reference" thing provided here is surprisingly the only thing I've found that does something close to what I want, and I find that fact very frustrating. I know on Macs there is a built-in equation editor which is exactly like what I want (not sure if it exports tex though)

Mathtype, which is the pay version of Equation Editor, can output in LaTex.

tony873004 said:
Mathtype, which is the pay version of Equation Editor, can output in LaTex.

Awesome, thanks.

Mathtype might be the best way to go if what you need is the actual LaTeX code; I was going to suggest TeXnicCenter which I use with the MiTeX package and its quite good.

You can download a free fully working evaluation 30 day copy of Mathtype from the suppliers.

If you do this go to preferences and set the copy and paste to "Physicsforums".
You will then be able to C&P directly into the reply box.

My only reservation is that you cannot include a sketch into Mathtype.

Why is there no one mentioning the lyx? It is an open source WYSIWYM editor for writing latex compatible document. You can type in the latex code and see the equation immediately. Copying any part of equation always give you the latex code so that you can paste them here. In my opinion, it can replace the Mathtype completely if you only want a latex equation. Though it is a little bit overkill to install the whole software to write small equation.

Some screenshots: http://www.lyx.org/Screenshots

I think you need http://www.inlage.com" .

It has an http://www.inlage.com/autocompletion" feature with more than 600 commands including images for the commands that creates a symbol. If you don't know what's the command for a symbol you can write it down in the Math Input Panel and get the LaTeX command. Code folding, syntax highlighting, pasting tables from e.g. excel or OO calc, ... everything you need...

Last edited by a moderator:
would a online site do ?

or u particularly need a software which u can use on your system?

It's time for a java, javascript, php app. When I'm not saving the world, I'll have to work on one. it would be a nice popup or area on the reply page.

INLAGE it is ...

Guys just use mathematica for your codes and import it into latex. Its highly simple in mathematica ... Give it a try and you will see for yourself how east it can be.

1. What is a good latex editor for windows?

A good latex editor for windows is a software that allows users to create, edit, and compile LaTeX documents on a computer running the Windows operating system. It provides a user-friendly interface and features that make it easier to work with LaTeX, such as syntax highlighting, auto-completion, and template options.

2. How do I choose the best latex editor for my needs?

The best way to choose a latex editor for your needs is to consider your level of experience with LaTeX, the features you require, and your budget. Some popular options include TeXmaker, TexStudio, and Overleaf, which offer different levels of complexity and support for different platforms.

3. Can I use a free latex editor for windows?

Yes, there are many free latex editors available for windows, such as TeXworks, Texmaker, and TexStudio. These editors offer most of the basic features needed for creating LaTeX documents, and they are constantly updated and improved by their developers.

4. Can I customize the settings and layout of a latex editor for windows?

Yes, most latex editors for windows allow users to customize the settings and layout according to their preferences. This includes changing the font, color scheme, and keyboard shortcuts. Some editors also allow users to add or remove specific features and plugins.

5. Is there a latex editor for windows that supports collaboration?

Yes, there are several latex editors for windows that support collaboration, such as Overleaf and ShareLaTeX. These editors allow multiple users to work on the same document simultaneously, making it easier for teams to collaborate on projects and make changes in real-time.