The Latex Companion 1st edition

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, the 1st edition of The Latex Companion is still usable, but has been updated with more up-to-date information.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
Can someone tell me if the 1st edition of The Latex Companion is pretty much still usable in terms of learning the details of using latex? It's 17 years old and I know this is probably something that isn't constantly changing but I'd just like to get everyones opinions.

I tried using bibtex for my references in a paper I'm writing and woo, what a disaster that was. Lucky to get out of that with my head still on. KTHX!

Physics news on Phys.org
I still find Lamport's 1986 manual useful for me. The changes and tweaks in Latex are annoying, but Lamport still helps with the basics.
I don't use Bibtex, but have no trouble with the old way.
I use \cite{anyone}and then
\begin{thebibliography}{9}
\bibitem{anyone}...
\end{thebibliography}{9}

Pengwuino said:
Can someone tell me if the 1st edition of The Latex Companion is pretty much still usable in terms of learning the details of using latex? It's 17 years old and I know this is probably something that isn't constantly changing but I'd just like to get everyones opinions.

I tried using bibtex for my references in a paper I'm writing and woo, what a disaster that was. Lucky to get out of that with my head still on. KTHX!

Can't you just use "A (not so) short introduction to LaTeX"?? tobi.oetiker.ch/lshort/lshort.pdf

I found The Latex Companion to be rather frustrating to find things in. I'm with the others: try using online resources to start with.

The best one I have found is "A Guide to LaTeX" by Kopka and Daly.

There is also a lot of nice stuff on the internet, but I think it is easier to reference the book for more general things - Kopka & Daly also has a nice section on Bibtex. I think bibtex is worth learning.

one tiny problem with oetiker is he tends to insult people who find Tex puzzling. This makes it harder to read him enjoyably. It may help to avoid sentences containing the words "hamster" or "stupid".

1. What is "The Latex Companion 1st edition" about?

"The Latex Companion 1st edition" is a comprehensive guide to using the LaTeX typesetting system for creating high-quality documents. It covers a wide range of topics, including document structure, formatting, graphics, and mathematical equations.

2. Who is the target audience for "The Latex Companion 1st edition"?

"The Latex Companion 1st edition" is aimed at scientists, researchers, and other professionals who need to produce technical documents with complex formatting and equations. It assumes some basic familiarity with LaTeX, but also provides explanations and examples for more advanced features.

3. How is "The Latex Companion 1st edition" organized?

"The Latex Companion 1st edition" is divided into three main parts: "Getting Started," which covers the basics of LaTeX; "Document Structure," which discusses how to organize and format different elements of a document; and "Advanced Topics," which delves into more complex features and customization options.

4. Are there any updates or revisions to "The Latex Companion 1st edition"?

Yes, there have been several updates and revisions to "The Latex Companion 1st edition" since its initial publication in 1994. The most recent edition, the 2nd edition, was released in 2004 and includes new material on modern LaTeX techniques and tools.

5. Can "The Latex Companion 1st edition" be used with any operating system?

Yes, LaTeX is compatible with most operating systems, including Windows, Mac OS, and Linux. The book covers the basic installation and setup for each system, as well as any differences in commands or features that may exist.