A good statistical mechanics book.

In summary, the conversation is about finding recommended resources for studying statistical mechanics. The person mentions having finished the topics in Feynman Lectures and wanting to study in more depth. They have looked at Berkeley Course and Huang, but find them either too introductory or too advanced. The person receiving the recommendation suggests D.V. Schroeder's Introduction to Thermal Physics as a good starting point. Other books, such as Kittel's Thermal Physics and Chandler's Modern Statistical Mechanics are also mentioned. The person is also recommended Sethna's book, which can be found online and is considered well-made with lots of exercises.
dHannibal
Hello,
I've finished the topics about statistical mechanics in Feynman Lectures,and I'd like to study the topic in a deeper aspect. I've had a look at Berkeley Course vol 5(by Reif),I liked it,but I find it rather too introductory. I also had a look at Huang,but I think it is too advanced for me right now. What would you suggest?
Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Huang is not that bad. Kittel's Thermal Physics is used a lot, I liked it only so-so.

here a few other books are named.

I can recommend D.V. Schroeder, Introduction to Thermal Physics as a first decent exposure to these topics. Huang is not too bad, but more advanced for sure. Schroeder takes a few steps back.

Thank you Landau,there are some decent books in the link you've given. I found Kittel very useful,I'll probably use it. Xepma,Schroeder is OK but it's not that different from Reif I think. Also yes,Huang is surely not very hard but I find its style kinda vague,although more advanced,Landau&Lifgarbagez's Statistical Mechanics Part 1 is easier to understand than Huang in my opinion,as far as the first parts which I've read roughly are concerned.

I like Sethna's book. You could freely find it online.
Look at http://pages.physics.cornell.edu/sethna/StatMech/
In my opinion it is very well made and got lots of exercises, it is not for newbie though.
Chandler also is a good manual, I think the title is "Modern statistical mechanics" or whatsoever.

Ll.

Thanks,Sethna's books would surely be useful.

1. What is statistical mechanics?

Statistical mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of large systems of particles using statistical methods. It aims to understand how macroscopic properties of a system, such as temperature and pressure, are related to the microscopic behavior of its constituent particles.

2. Why is statistical mechanics important?

Statistical mechanics is important because it provides a fundamental understanding of how physical systems behave at a microscopic level. This knowledge is essential for a wide range of applications, from understanding the properties of materials to predicting the behavior of gases and fluids.

3. What makes a good statistical mechanics book?

A good statistical mechanics book should have a clear and concise explanation of fundamental concepts, a thorough treatment of mathematical techniques, and a variety of examples and exercises to help readers apply the concepts to real-world problems. It should also include modern developments and applications of statistical mechanics.

4. What are some recommended statistical mechanics books?

Some of the most recommended statistical mechanics books include "Thermal Physics" by Charles Kittel and Herbert Kroemer, "Statistical Mechanics" by R.K. Pathria, and "Introduction to Modern Statistical Mechanics" by David Chandler. Other popular choices include "Statistical Mechanics: Entropy, Order Parameters, and Complexity" by James Sethna, and "Equilibrium Statistical Mechanics" by Michael Plischke and Birger Bergersen.

5. Is prior knowledge of physics and mathematics necessary to understand statistical mechanics?

While prior knowledge of physics and mathematics is certainly helpful, many statistical mechanics books are written with the assumption that readers have a basic understanding of calculus, differential equations, and classical mechanics. However, some books may also provide a brief review of necessary mathematical concepts and notation. It is recommended to have a solid foundation in physics and mathematics before diving into statistical mechanics.