A grandfather pulls his granddaughter, whose mass is 20.5 kg

• Thread starter AD_3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass
In summary, through the use of equations for work, potential energy, and kinetic energy, it was determined that the angle from which the granddaughter was released on the swing was 30.1 degrees relative to the vertical. This was achieved by setting the potential energy at the top of the swing equal to the kinetic energy at the bottom and solving for the change in height, then using trigonometric functions to find the angle.
AD_3

Homework Statement

A grandfather pulls his granddaughter, whose mass is 20.5 kg and who is sitting on a swing with ropes of length 2.57 m, backward and releases her from rest. The speed of the granddaughter at the bottom of the swinging motion is 2.61 m/s. What is the angle (in degrees, measured relative to the vertical) from which she is released?

Homework Equations

P=F*V
W=F*d

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know were to start with this. I feel it has something to do with work or power but I can't figure it out. I first tried Fcosθ=V but that didn't work

Physics news on Phys.org
AD_3 said:

Homework Equations

P=F*V
W=F*d

Along with work, have you studied potential and kinetic energy?

Well she had potential e when her grandfather held her at some angle and when she was at the bottom she can't swing any lower and she's moving so she's got kinetic e so what can you deduce from that?

Everything.
The angle isn't really important yet.
How about calculating the initial starting height (potential) based on the known kinetic energy.
Can you list both the potential and kinetic energy equations?

You are right I overlooked those equations. I know KE=.5mv^2 and I think PE=mgh. Is the PE when the grandfather holds her equal to the KE at the bottom?

Yes, when the grandfather holds her at the top, all energy is potential. Assuming negligible loss to drag and friction, at the bottom of the swing motion all energy should be kinetic.

So once I set those equal and solve for h do I use sin(theta)=o/h to solve for theta?

It's a little tougher than that. Draw a diagram showing the swing rope length, height change and theta.
Note that:
h used in potential energy equations is change in height.
h used in trig is hypotenuse.
For clarity (and to avoid confusion), consider using "hyp" for hypotenuse.
I think that you will find that you should use cosine rather than sine.
Give it a try and see how far you get.

Last edited:
Oh okay I understand. Thank you! I got 30.1 deg

1. How does the mass of the granddaughter affect the force needed to pull her?

The mass of the granddaughter does not directly affect the force needed to pull her. However, the greater the mass, the greater the inertia, which may make it more difficult to start and stop the motion of pulling.

2. What is the unit of measurement for force in this scenario?

In this scenario, the unit of measurement for force is Newtons (N).

3. Can you calculate the acceleration of the granddaughter being pulled by her grandfather?

Yes, the acceleration can be calculated by dividing the force by the mass of the granddaughter. However, this would require knowing the magnitude and direction of the force being exerted.

4. How does the force needed to pull the granddaughter vary if she is pulled on different surfaces?

The force needed to pull the granddaughter may vary depending on the type of surface she is being pulled on. For example, it may be easier to pull her on a smooth surface compared to a rough surface due to differences in friction.

5. Is there a limit to the amount of force the grandfather can exert on his granddaughter?

Yes, there is a limit to the amount of force the grandfather can exert on his granddaughter. This limit is determined by the strength and physical capabilities of the grandfather, and also by the friction and other external forces acting on the granddaughter.