A magnetic induction question

Multiply by 4 for a total of 4 wires, and you have your answer.In summary, the value of the magnetic induction at any point on the z axis when a current I' circulates around a square of edge a in the xy plane with the origin at its center can be calculated using the equation B=uIa/2R(R^2+(a/2)^2)^3/2, where R is the distance from the center of the wire to the point on the z axis where B is being calculated. This can be multiplied by 4 for a total of 4 wires to get the final answer.
schattenjaeger

Homework Statement

A square of edge a lies in the xy plane with the origin at its center. Find the value of the magnetic induction at any point on the z axis when a current I' circulates around the square.

Homework Equations

B=u/4pi * lineint[(I'*ds' x R)/R^3)]

The Attempt at a Solution

I guess you've got the 4 different sides of the square, I assumed by "circulating" it meant it goes around, so opposite sides the current is going opposite directions. The way I did this, let's say it's going around counter-clockwise, for the side on the right running parallel to the x-axis with the current traveling in the positive x direction...
(capital letters = unit vectors)
ds'=dx'X
R=-x'X-a/2Y+zZ
ds' X R = -(zY+a/2*Z)dx'

R^3 = (x'^2+a^2/4+z^2)^(3/2)

so when I integrate that, I'm just going to say k=uI'/4pi and...
-k{4a(zY+a/2Z)sqrt(2)/[sqrt(a^2+2z^2)*(a^2+4z^2)]}

is my approach even right? I carefully repeated that for all 4 sides and added them, but didn't get the right answer(I don't have the "answer" per se, rather just the value in the middle of the square, which I didn't get right)

Physics news on Phys.org
schattenjaeger said:

Homework Statement

A square of edge a lies in the xy plane with the origin at its center. Find the value of the magnetic induction at any point on the z axis when a current I' circulates around the square.

Homework Equations

B=u/4pi * lineint[(I'*ds' x R)/R^3)]

The Attempt at a Solution

I guess you've got the 4 different sides of the square, I assumed by "circulating" it meant it goes around, so opposite sides the current is going opposite directions. The way I did this, let's say it's going around counter-clockwise, for the side on the right running parallel to the x-axis with the current traveling in the positive x direction...
(capital letters = unit vectors)
ds'=dx'X
R=-x'X-a/2Y+zZ
ds' X R = -(zY+a/2*Z)dx'

R^3 = (x'^2+a^2/4+z^2)^(3/2)

so when I integrate that, I'm just going to say k=uI'/4pi and...
-k{4a(zY+a/2Z)sqrt(2)/[sqrt(a^2+2z^2)*(a^2+4z^2)]}

is my approach even right? I carefully repeated that for all 4 sides and added them, but didn't get the right answer(I don't have the "answer" per se, rather just the value in the middle of the square, which I didn't get right)

You are starting in the right place. I'm having a bit of trouble sorting out your substitutions, so I'm going to leave the work up to you. I did a similar problem recently, so I know what the integral looks like. You should have the equivalent of

[tex] B = \frac{{\mu _o IR}}{{4\pi }}\int_{ - a/2}^{a/2} {\frac{{ds}}{{\left( {R^2 + s^2 } \right)^{3/2} }}} [/tex]

for each wire, where my R is the distance from the center of the wire to the point on the z axis where B is being calculated. R is independent of s. The integral gives you

[tex] B = \frac{{\mu _o I}}{{4\pi }} {\frac{a}{{R \sqrt {R^2 + \left( {a/2} \right)^2 } }}} [/tex]

Last edited:

1. What is magnetic induction?

Magnetic induction refers to the process of creating a magnetic field in a material by applying an external magnetic field. This is typically done by using an electromagnet or by moving a magnet near the material.

2. How is magnetic induction measured?

Magnetic induction is measured in units of tesla (T) or gauss (G). One tesla is equal to 10,000 gauss. The strength of a magnetic field can also be measured in terms of its flux density, which is the number of field lines per unit area.

3. What is the connection between magnetic induction and electricity?

Magnetic induction is the basis for generating electricity. When a magnetic field is moved near a conductor, such as a wire, it induces a flow of electrons, which creates an electric current. This is the principle behind generators and electric motors.

4. Can magnetic induction be harmful to humans?

In general, magnetic induction from everyday sources, such as household appliances, is not harmful to humans. However, exposure to extremely strong magnetic fields, such as those found in MRI machines, can have potential health effects. It is important to follow safety guidelines and limit exposure to strong magnetic fields.

5. What are some real-life applications of magnetic induction?

Magnetic induction has a wide range of applications, including electricity generation, electric motors, magnetic levitation trains, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) in medical diagnostics. It is also used in various industrial processes, such as metal sorting and magnetic separation of materials.