1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A mapping from an integral domain to non-negative integers, Abstract Algebra

1. Dec 14, 2012 #1
    So just had this question as extra credit on a final:

Let D be an integral domain, and suppose f is a non-constant map from D to the non-negative integers, with f(xy) = f(x)f(y). Show that if a has an inverse in D, f(a) = 1.

Couldn't figure it out in time. I was thinking the way to go about it was assume f(a) > 1 and show then the function would be constant, somehow using the fact that any y in D could be factored as a(a^- * y).

Maybe: Suppose f(a) = n /= 1. Then f(a*a^-*y) = n*m*f(y), n*m /= 1 since we are in the integers and f(n or m) /=1 by assumption. But in D, a*a^-1* y = y, but n*m*f(y) /= f(y), a contradiction.

Is this right? It doesn't make use of the hypothesis that f is non-constant I don't think.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2012 #2
    I think there is some more to it than that. What happens if f(a) = 0? Remember f is mapping to the non-negative integers, so you need to consider this case. This will help you complete the proof, I think.

4. Dec 14, 2012 #3
    Okay, so you know that a has an inverse. Let us suggestively call it [itex] a^{-1} [/itex]. Then [itex] f(1) = f(a a^{-1}) = f(a) f(a^{-1}). [/itex] so that f(a) divides f(1). Maybe you should try to determine f(1). In particular, does the fact that [itex] 1 = 1\cdot 1 [/itex] help you? You should be able to show that either [itex] f(1) = 1 [/itex] or [itex] f(1) = 0[/itex]. However, one of these is not allowed by hypothesis (which one? why?). Given that the other one must be true, you are done (again, why?).

5. Dec 14, 2012 #4
    I would approach it as follows:

[itex]
    f(1_D) = f(1_D \cdot 1_D)=f(1_D) \cdot f(1_D)
    [/itex]

Since the images we're considering must be non-negative integers, we have that

[itex] f(1_D) = 0 [/itex] or [itex] f(1_D) = 1 [/itex]

Cases:

i) Suppose [itex]f(1_D)=0[/itex]

Let [itex] a \in D [/itex] . It follows immediately that

[itex] f(a) = f(1_D \cdot a) = f(1_D) \cdot f(a) = 0 \cdot f(a) = 0 [/itex], for any [itex] a \in D [/itex].

This of course implies that f is constant (namely the 0 map), we have a contradiction, since we assumed f was non-constant.

ii) Suppose [itex]f(1_D)=1[/itex]
    Let [itex] a \in D [/itex], further suppose [itex] \exists \ a^{-1} \in D [/itex] such that [itex] a \cdot a^{-1} = 1_D [/itex].
    Then:
    [itex]f(1_D) = f( a \cdot a^{-1} ) = f(a) \cdot f(a^{-1}) = 1 [/itex]
    Again, since these images under f are non-negative integers, it follows that
    [itex] f(a) = f(a^{-1}) = 1 [/itex]

We have our desired result. Any element in D having an inverse in D will necessarily map to 1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook