1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Medieval Knight attacking w/ a Cannon!

1. Jan 20, 2009 #1
    Anyone mind helping me strategically picking apart this word problem? I am taking physics for the first time in college and its kicking my ***, any insight on how to pick apart a problem like this and find an appropriate answer? Thank you for your time!

Assume you are a Medieval knight attacking a castle with a cannon. The ball leaves the cannon with a speed of 43.3 m/s. The barrel's angle with respect to the ground is 45.7°, and you make a perfect hit on the tyrant's chamber which is at the same level as the cannon's muzzle. What is the time of flight of the cannon ball?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The 'trick' is that you can consider the horizontal and vertical motion separately.
    So just consider the ball being thrown up and coming down - what acceleration do you expect, what equations do you know for a moving object.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?