Ivan Seeking said:
Really I'm surprised that hey didn't just destroy the dogs. I doubt that pit bulls trained to fight could ever be trusted as a pet.
Yeah, I'd have a hard time understanding that either. But, again, for whatever reason they decided not to destroy the dogs (bleeding heart judge or jury?), the likelihood that they won't be able to adopt them into homes really could be a factor in the amount they are expecting to spend to house those dogs in a kennel. I'm figuring that just for shots, deworming, routine vet care and food, it'll probably cost $25,000/year for all the dogs, not counting staff salaries (I think the Humane Society can get away with volunteers, but in a case like this, why not expect the caretakers be paid) and other overhead costs. Not knowing how old the dogs are, assuming an average of 10 years (some pups might be around 16 years, while other older dogs might only be around 6 years or so), that's already $250,000 just in food and routine vet costs. Add on salary and benefits for the equivalent of one full-time staff member to feed and clean and monitor, for even a low-paid wage, you're into another $35,000/year probably. So, that's up to $600,000, and nothing extraordinary has been done for them. Add in the uncommon vet bills to treat injuries and illnesses, some toys and treats, collars and leashes, and figure the cost of everything would go up over 10 years just due to inflation, and there really isn't a lot left at the end.
Of course, I'm operating on an assumption that these dogs will not be fit to be adopted out. If the plan is to see how many can be adopted out within a year and euthanize the rest, then yeah, those expenses are ridiculously inflated.