Proving the Solution a=4 and n=2 for a^(1/n) = √a; a>0, n>1

• Thread starter TylerH
  • Start date
In summary, we can prove that a=4 and n=2 is the only solution to the equation \frac{a}{n}=\sqrt[n]{a}, where a>0 and n>1, by observing that if a and n must be natural numbers, there is only one solution. This can be seen by plotting the equation and observing its behavior. Furthermore, we can see that if a and n are restricted to being integers, the equation a^b=b^a also has only one solution, where b=a^n.
TylerH
[tex]\frac{a}{n}=\sqrt[n]{a};a > 0;n>1[/tex]
How do I prove that a=4, and n=2 is the only solution? I'm pretty sure it is, but I don't know how to prove it.

Physics news on Phys.org

the only solution or the onl solution with natural numbers??

If is the only solution you could try to plot it to see how they behave

a/n=b a^(1/n)=b

b*n = b^n

n=b^(n-1)

b=n ^(1/(n-1))

a= n^(n/(n-1))With this you can see that if n and a has to be natural there is only one sol and if they don't there are infinite ones.

You were correct in assuming that I meant integers. I also plotted it. The shape is interesting, it almost appears linear. Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Wouldn't that result in a dependency? How can you say n^(n/(n-1)) has only one integer solution?

n^(n/(n-1))=n^(1+1/(n-1))=n+n^(1/(n-1))

for integers values of n

n= integrer

a=n^(1/(n-1))= only integrer for n=2;

dem: function is decreasing , for n=2 , a=2 for n -> inf a=1

Oh... that was a dumb question... Thanks. :)

Here's why I was asking:
(aside: how do I impose restrictions on the possible values of a and b? Like say that they must not be equal and that they must be integers?)
[tex]a^b=b^a[/tex]
Which implies that b must equal a, by a factor, n, and a must equal b by a power of 1/n. To make it easier, I'll switch the n and 1/n, since the actual value doesn't matter, just the relation. We can also assume a must be a power of b, because otherwise there would be extraneous factors, making it impossible for them to be equal. Thus we have:
[tex]\frac{b}{n}=a;a^n=b[/tex]
Which you can tell is very similar to the question posed, except the original was simplified.
[tex]an=a^n[/tex]
[tex]n=a^{n-1}[/tex]
[tex]a=\sqrt[n-1]{n}[/tex]

FAQ: Proving the Solution a=4 and n=2 for a^(1/n) = √a; a>0, n>1

What is the meaning of "A/n = a^(1/n)"?

"A/n = a^(1/n)" is a mathematical expression that represents the nth root of a number "A". This means that when "A" is divided by n, the resulting value will be the base "a" raised to the power of 1/n.

What is the purpose of using "A/n = a^(1/n)"?

The purpose of using "A/n = a^(1/n)" is to find the value of the nth root of a number "A". This is useful in many mathematical and scientific calculations where taking a root of a number is required.

How do you solve for "a" in "A/n = a^(1/n)"?

To solve for "a" in "A/n = a^(1/n)", you can take both sides of the equation to the nth power. This will eliminate the exponent on the right side, leaving you with "A = a". Therefore, the solution for "a" is simply the value of "A".

What happens when n is an even number in "A/n = a^(1/n)"?

If n is an even number in "A/n = a^(1/n)", then the equation will have two possible solutions for "a". This is because when taking the even root of a number, both a positive and negative value can result in the original number "A".

How does "A/n = a^(1/n)" relate to the concept of logarithms?

The expression "A/n = a^(1/n)" is closely related to the concept of logarithms. Specifically, it is the inverse operation of taking a logarithm. This means that if you take the logarithm of both sides of the equation, you will be left with "loga(A) = n". This can be used to solve for either "a" or "n" in the original equation.