1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A particle accelerating in both magnetic and electric fields

1. Mar 26, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A proton (q = 1.6×10−19 C, m = 1.67×10−27 kg) moves at 300 ms−1 along a line midway between the x and z axes. There is a magnetic field of 1T along the x axis and an electric field of 2000 Vm−1 along the y axis. What is the force on the proton and what is its acceleration?

2. Relevant equations

Scalar product: a·b=abcosθ=axbx +ayby +azbz.

Vector product: a×b = i(aybzazby)+j(azbxaxbz)+k(axbyaybx), |a×b| = absinθ.

Forces on a charged particle in electric and magnetic fields: F = qE + qv × B.

3. The attempt at a solution

First off, my main assumption is that there shouldn't be any relativity involved in this question since v=300m s-1 is not particularly fast. However when I arrived at the answer I have calculated below, that is quite a lot of acceleration! I didn't end up needing to use the scalar and vector product formulae that were provided on the question sheet, so I fear that I am missing something!

I have drawn a diagram to show how I have interpreted the question, which is attached. The proton is traveling with initial velocity v=300m s-1 along a line where x=z and y=0 (which I assume is what my lecturer means when he says "along a line midway between the x and z axes).

So the total force acting on the particle F=FE+FB where FE is the force due to the electric field of 2000 Vm−1 and FB is the force on the proton due to the magnetic field of 1 T.

So F=qE+qvB

But what is v? Because only the component of motion perpendicular to the magnetic field (the velocity along the z-axis) affects the force, v=300sin(Pi/4)=[tex]150\sqrt{2}[/tex] m s-1.

Using the right hand slap rule for the magnetic field, I can see that the force exerted on the proton by the magnetic field is in the same direction as that exerted by the electric field on a positive particle, that is, straight along the y-axis. Therefore I should be able to just add these two forces.

Therefore F = 1.6×10−19 C × 2000 Vm-1 + 1.6×10−19 C × [tex]150\sqrt{2}[/tex] m s-1 × 1 T = 3.54×10−16 N along the y-axis.

Then using a=F/m = (3.54×10−16 N) / (1.67×10−27 kg) = 2.12×1011 m s-2 in the y-direction.

Does all of this working seem to make sense to you? I can't shake the feeling that I have missed something - why would my lecturer give me the scalar and vector product formulae if I did not have to use them?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2010 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your method is all right and you do use the scalar and vector products :).

When you get the velocity components, you take the scalar product of the velocity vector v with the unit vectors. So vz= v˙k .

The magnetic force is the vector product qvxB= q(vxi + vzk) x Bi=qvzj.

ehild

4. Mar 27, 2010 #3
    Ah I see it now! Those operations just seemed to me like "common sense", I guess I didn't analyse my method enough. Typical. Thank you for your clarification :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook