A physical description of some GR concepts

In summary, the expansion, rotation, and shear of a time-like congruence refer to the changes in volume, rotation, and shape of a group of objects moving through space. The expansion is represented by the rate at which the volume changes, the shear is represented by the distortion of the shape, and the rotation is represented by the twisting motion of the objects. These properties can be understood intuitively by imagining a ball of coffee grounds and how it can change in volume, shape, and rotation as it moves through space. Additionally, it is noted that if the time-like congruence is hypersurface orthogonal, the rotation will be zero.
R136a1
Can someone explain what the expansion, rotation, and shear of a time-like congruence are physically?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sure. Let ##\xi^{a}## be a time-like congruence and ##\gamma## an integral curve of ##\xi^a##; let ##p\in \gamma(I)##. Take an orthonormal basis ##\{\xi^{a},\eta^{a}_{1},\eta^{a}_{2},\eta^{a}_{3}\}## for ##T_p M## such that ##\mathcal{L}_{\xi}\eta^{a}_{i} = 0,\forall i## (i.e. the ##\eta^{a}_{i}## are infinitesimal connecting vectors). The metric tensor can be written in this basis as ##g_{ab} = -\xi_{a}\xi_{b} + \eta^{1}_{a}\eta^{1}_{b} + \eta^{2}_{a}\eta^{2}_{b} + \eta^{3}_{a}\eta^{3}_{b}## so the spatial metric ##h_{ab}## is given by ##h_{ab} = g_{ab} + \xi_{a}\xi_{b} = \eta^{1}_{a}\eta^{1}_{b} + \eta^{2}_{a}\eta^{2}_{b} + \eta^{3}_{a}\eta^{3}_{b} ##. I now claim that the expansion ##\theta = \nabla_{a}\xi^{a}## represents the expansion of the infinitesimal space-time volume ##V = \epsilon_{abcd}\xi^{a}\eta^{b}_{1}\eta^{c}_{2}\eta^{d}_{3}## carried along ##\gamma##. We have that ##\xi^{n}\nabla_{n}\eta^{b}_{i} = \eta_{i}^{n}\nabla_{n}\xi^{b}## so ##\xi^{a}\nabla_{a}V = \epsilon_{abcd}\{(\xi^{n}\nabla_{n}\xi^{a})\eta^{b}_{1}\eta^{c}_{2}\eta^{d}_{3} + ...+(\eta_{3}^{n}\nabla_{n}\xi^{d})\xi^{a}\eta^{b}_{1}\eta^{c}_{2}\}##. Note that ##\epsilon_{abcd}\eta^{b}_{1}\eta^{c}_{2}\eta^{d}_{3}## must be parallel to ##\xi^{a}## at ##p## hence ##\epsilon_{abcd}\eta^{b}_{1}\eta^{c}_{2}\eta^{d}_{3} = \alpha \xi^{a}\Rightarrow \alpha = -V## at ##p##. As a result, ##\epsilon_{abcd}(\xi^{n}\nabla_{n}\xi^{a})\eta^{b}_{1}\eta^{c}_{2}\eta^{d}_{3} = -V\xi^{n}\xi_{a}\nabla_{n}\xi^{a} = 0## at ##p##. Handling the other terms in a similar manner, we end up with ##\xi^{n}\nabla_{n}V = V(g_{r}^{n} + \xi_{r}\xi^{n})\nabla_{n}\xi^{r} = V\nabla_{n}\xi^{n} = V\theta## as desired. If we imagine a small ball centered at ##p##, ##\theta## tells us how its volume changes instantaneously.

As for the shear ##\sigma_{ab}##, note that because it is symmetric we can find an orthonormal basis for ##T_p M## that orthogonally diagonalizes ##\sigma_{ab}## on top of the spatial basis vectors being lie transported along the integral curve of the time-like basis vector ##\xi^{a}## and as a result write ##\sigma_{ab} = k_{1}\eta^{1}_{a}\eta^{1}_{b} + k_{2}\eta^{2}_{a}\eta^{2}_{b} + k_{3}\eta^{3}_{a}\eta^{3}_{b}##. ##\sigma_{ab}## is also traceless so that places a constraint on the eigenvalues ##k_{i}##. Now assume that at ##p##, the expansion and rotation vanish so that at ##p## we have ##\xi^{n}\nabla_{n}\eta_{i}^{a} = k_{i}\eta^{a}_{i}## after using the various conditions above. Now if we imagine a reference observer ##O##, an infinitesimally nearby observer ##O'##, and think of ##\eta^{a}_{i}## as a connecting vector between the two then the above tells us that ##O'## has an instantaneous velocity at ##p## relative to ##O## that is directed along ##\eta^{a}_{i}## so each ##\eta^{a}_{i}## defines an axis of instantaneous expansion/contraction with value ##k_{i}##. Because of the trace constraint, expansion along one such axis must be sufficiently compensated for by contractions along the other axes so if we imagine a small ball centered at ##p##, this ball will get distorted into an ellipse.

Rotation is the obvious one in the kinematical decomposition. It simply measures the extent to which the congruence fails to be hypersurface orthogonal i.e. ##\omega_{ab} = 0## if and only if ##\xi_{[a}\nabla_{b}\xi_{c]} = 0##. Geroch gives a nice pictorial interpretation of this as follows: picture a normal twisted rope and note that there is no way you can slice the rope using a plane such that all the fibers of the twisted rope intersecting the plane are orthogonal to the plane.

R136a1 said:
Can someone explain what the expansion, rotation, and shear of a time-like congruence are physically?

I'll try a more "physical" and less rigorous description than Wanabee Newton's.

Consider a ball of coffee grounds - ala Baez, http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/einstein/ "The meaning of Einstein's equation".

The worldlines of the individual grounds will trace out a time-like congruence. (The worldlines must be time like, and we'll assume the rest of the properties needed).

Then the ball can change it's volume. That's expansion. It can get squashed into an ellipsoid. That's shear. And, of course, it can rotate.

Thanks a lot pervect for giving a great intuition. And thanks miss wbn for giving a very neat mathematical derivation for the intuition!

May I ask why why ##\omega_{ab} = 0## if and only if ##\xi^{a}## is hypersurface orthogonal?

Well first consider the twist ##\omega_{a} = \epsilon_{abcd}\xi^{b}\nabla^{c}\xi^{d}## of the time-like congruence. The rotation will be given in terms of the twist by ##\omega_{ab} = \epsilon_{abcd}\xi^{c}\omega^{d}##. Hence if ##\omega_{ab} = 0## then ##\xi^{c}\omega^{d} - \xi^{d}\omega^{c} = 0## so ##\omega_{a} = 0##. This then implies that ##\xi^{[b}\nabla^{c}\xi^{d]} = 0## so ##\xi^{a}## is hypersurface orthogonal by Frobenius' theorem. As for the converse, if ##\xi^{a}## is hypersurface orthogonal then ##\xi^{a} = f\nabla^{a}g## for smooth scalar fields ##f,g##
so ##\omega_{ab} = h_{[a}{}{}^{m}h_{b]}{}{}^{n}\nabla_{m}\xi_{n} = fh_{a}{}{}^{m}h_{b}{}{}^{n}\nabla_{[m}\nabla_{n]}g + h_{a}{}{}^{m}h_{b}{}{}^{n}\nabla_{[m}f\nabla_{n]}g = 0## because ##\nabla_{a}## is torsion free (i.e. it commutes on smooth scalar fields) and ##h_{a}{}{}^{m}\nabla_{m}g = f^{-1}h_{a}{}{}^{m}\xi_{m} = 0##.

Last edited:
Thank you, that was a very good explanation!

1. What is the theory of general relativity (GR)?

The theory of general relativity is a physical theory of gravity developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century. It describes the relationship between matter, energy, space, and time, and how they interact to create the force of gravity.

2. How does GR differ from Newton's theory of gravity?

GR differs from Newton's theory of gravity in that it is a geometric theory that explains gravity as the curvature of spacetime, rather than a force between masses. It also predicts different outcomes in extreme conditions, such as near black holes or during the expansion of the universe.

3. What are some key concepts in GR?

Some key concepts in GR include spacetime, which is the four-dimensional fabric that contains all matter and energy; curvature, which describes how spacetime is affected by the presence of matter and energy; and geodesics, which are the paths that objects follow in curved spacetime.

4. How does GR explain the phenomenon of gravitational time dilation?

GR explains gravitational time dilation as the slowing down of time in regions with a strong gravitational field, such as near a massive object like a black hole. This is due to the curvature of spacetime, which causes time to pass more slowly in regions with stronger gravity.

5. What are some practical applications of GR?

Some practical applications of GR include the accurate prediction and correction of satellite orbits, as well as the ability to accurately predict the behavior of our solar system and other astronomical phenomena. It also plays a crucial role in the study of black holes and the search for gravitational waves. Additionally, GR has been used to develop models of the universe and its evolution, helping to deepen our understanding of the cosmos.