Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Physical Situation Which Physics Rules Collapse

1. Apr 17, 2015 #1
    Whats the circumtances which physics rules collapse and dont work.Theres any explanation it to use mathematics. Here I dont mean singularity things.I know in singularity physics rules collapse I want to talk more generally.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2015 #2

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Do you mean a situation where the laws of physics are incomplete [i.e. we don't know the correct laws]?
    Or do you mean a situation where the laws of physics do not apply [because no such laws exist for it]?

4. Apr 17, 2015 #3
    This one . A situtation which we cant get energy conservation or these kind of things which we can say hundered per cent physics laws cannot work in that situation.Is there any way to desribe it mathematicly.

5. Apr 17, 2015 #4

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm just looking for more clarity in what you are asking.

Consider the Law of Conservation of [total] Energy...
    [for the sake of argument, let's say...] it holds in a certain situation...
    but because some part of the system is inaccessible to us, we can't verify it or make [easy] use of it.
    It's true but not helpful in solving a problem.
    Is that what you mean?

6. Apr 17, 2015 #5
    we couldnt find energy conservation in a situation.Its a very important law in physics or , we found a situation which charges dont conserve.These laws are fundemental but they broken just know.Then Can we say "in this situation physics laws are broken" or dont work.

7. Apr 17, 2015 #6

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It has certainly been the case that some so-called "law" that we had accepted had been violated and thus had to dropped [or had its range of validity restricted] in favor of a better explanation of what was going on. Such turning points often point to new physics.

Here is a famous story... the history of the neutrino.
    http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/particles/neutrino.html
    Apparent violations of conservation laws were resolved by postulating a new particle, which was subsequently detected.

This may be enlightening...
    "Richard Feynman - The Character of Physical Law -7 -Seeking New Laws"

(in written form: http://mitpress.mit.edu/books/character-physical-law )

8. Apr 17, 2015 #7
    Ok thanks for video

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook