1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A physics BS going into ME Grad school

1. Jun 6, 2013 #1
    Hi everyone,

So I'm starting grad school in ME in the fall, but my bachelor's degree is in physics. I went to a school with no engineering college, but I think my knowledge on anything related to physics in engineering is sound, with the exception of fluid and solid mechanics (I know the basic concepts but of course haven't had courses strictly in these topics).

I have to TA for my first year to pay for my education, and I put down in my application that I would prefer to teach dynamics, thermodynamics, and for some dumb reason, machine design (I have no more than rudimentary knowledge on designing mechanical parts other than the little that I have read online and working on lawn mower engines etc. etc.).

Does anyone have any advice for me to prepare for engineering classes and TA'ing for engineering classes? I'm trying to learn fluid mechanics on my own this summer, but I'm having a little trouble focusing!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2013 #2
    I doubt they would hire you as a TA for a course they didn't think you were qualified to teach, from your application. It obviously doesn't hurt to brush up on courses you think you're lacking in though.

Also, do some research on the specific undergrad courses the program offers to learn exactly what's expected. Note that courses like thermodynamics are very different for an engineer then a physics student.

4. Jun 13, 2013 #3
    I think schools generally only want to hire students as TA's who will be doing research/PhD. Are you doing that, or is that not the case with your school?

5. Jun 13, 2013 #4
    I'm doing the TA-ship as part of an agreement for the university to cover my tuition and some other fees, I have to do it for a year and then I can change over to a research assistantship. I'll be working towards a masters degree first and I want to do a PhD now, but time will tell.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook