A physics BS going into ME Grad school

In summary, The person is going to graduate school in ME in the fall and has a bachelor's degree in physics. They are applying to be a TA for their first year of grad school and are worried about what to do to prepare. They say that they are trying to learn fluid mechanics on their own this summer but that it is proving to be a difficult task. They also say that they are doubtful that they would be hired as a TA if they did not have a degree in engineering. They say that research is important for a TA and that they are doing research on the courses they are worried about.
moogull
Hi everyone,

So I'm starting grad school in ME in the fall, but my bachelor's degree is in physics. I went to a school with no engineering college, but I think my knowledge on anything related to physics in engineering is sound, with the exception of fluid and solid mechanics (I know the basic concepts but of course haven't had courses strictly in these topics).

I have to TA for my first year to pay for my education, and I put down in my application that I would prefer to teach dynamics, thermodynamics, and for some dumb reason, machine design (I have no more than rudimentary knowledge on designing mechanical parts other than the little that I have read online and working on lawn mower engines etc. etc.).

Does anyone have any advice for me to prepare for engineering classes and TA'ing for engineering classes? I'm trying to learn fluid mechanics on my own this summer, but I'm having a little trouble focusing!

Physics news on Phys.org
I doubt they would hire you as a TA for a course they didn't think you were qualified to teach, from your application. It obviously doesn't hurt to brush up on courses you think you're lacking in though.

Also, do some research on the specific undergrad courses the program offers to learn exactly what's expected. Note that courses like thermodynamics are very different for an engineer then a physics student.

I think schools generally only want to hire students as TA's who will be doing research/PhD. Are you doing that, or is that not the case with your school?

I'm doing the TA-ship as part of an agreement for the university to cover my tuition and some other fees, I have to do it for a year and then I can change over to a research assistantship. I'll be working towards a masters degree first and I want to do a PhD now, but time will tell.

Hi there!

First of all, congratulations on starting grad school in ME! It's great that you have a strong foundation in physics, as it will definitely help you in your engineering courses. As for preparing for your engineering classes and TA'ing, here are a few suggestions:

1. Brush up on your knowledge of fluid and solid mechanics. Since these topics are new to you, it would be beneficial to review the basic concepts and equations before starting your classes. This will help you have a better understanding of the material and be better prepared to teach it to others.

2. Take advantage of online resources. There are plenty of online courses and tutorials available for free that can help you learn about fluid mechanics and other engineering topics. This can be a great supplement to your self-study and help you stay focused.

3. Talk to your professors and other ME grad students. Don't be afraid to reach out to your professors and ask for their advice and resources. They can also give you a better idea of what to expect in your classes and how to best prepare for them. It can also be helpful to connect with other ME grad students and learn from their experiences.

4. Use your physics background to your advantage. While you may not have specific engineering coursework in fluid mechanics or machine design, your understanding of physics principles can still be applied in these areas. Use your critical thinking and problem-solving skills to approach these topics from a physics perspective.

5. Don't be afraid to ask for help. As a TA, it's important to know that you don't have to have all the answers. If you encounter a question or concept that you are unsure about, don't hesitate to ask your professor or seek help from other resources. It's better to admit that you don't know something and learn from it, rather than trying to teach something incorrectly.

Overall, the best way to prepare for your engineering classes and TA'ing is to stay motivated and dedicated to your studies. It's great that you're already taking the initiative to learn about fluid mechanics on your own. Keep up the good work and don't be afraid to ask for help when needed. Good luck with your studies!

1. What are the benefits of pursuing a physics BS before going into ME grad school?

The benefits of pursuing a physics BS before entering ME grad school include a strong foundation in fundamental concepts and mathematical skills, which are essential for success in advanced engineering courses. Additionally, a physics background can provide a unique perspective and problem-solving approach in the field of mechanical engineering.

2. Will a physics BS prepare me for the rigorous coursework in ME grad school?

Yes, a physics BS can provide a solid foundation for the challenging coursework in ME grad school. Physics courses cover topics such as mechanics, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism which are relevant to mechanical engineering. The analytical and problem-solving skills developed in a physics program will also be beneficial in tackling advanced engineering courses.

3. Can I still specialize in a certain area of ME if I have a physics BS?

Yes, having a physics BS does not limit your ability to specialize in a specific area of mechanical engineering. Many graduate programs offer a variety of specialization options, and your physics background can be an asset in pursuing certain areas such as materials science or robotics.

4. Will a physics BS give me an advantage in job opportunities after ME grad school?

Having a physics BS before entering ME grad school can give you a competitive edge in the job market. Employers often value a diverse educational background and the skills acquired in a physics program, such as critical thinking and problem-solving, are highly sought after in the engineering industry.

5. Are there any potential challenges in transitioning from a physics BS to ME grad school?

While a physics BS can provide a strong foundation for ME grad school, there may be some challenges in adjusting to the more practical and applied nature of engineering courses. It is important to have a solid understanding of fundamental engineering concepts and to stay organized and diligent in coursework to successfully make the transition. Many universities also offer resources and support for students making this transition.