1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A poisson distribution question

1. Mar 1, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    On average, each of the 18 hens in my henhouse lays 1 egg every 30 days. If I check the hens once per day and remove any eggs that have been laid, what is the average number, μ, of eggs that I find on my daily visits? What is the most probable (whole) number of eggs that I find on each visit? HINT: if in doubt sketch the distribution of P(N) in this case.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]P_{\mu}(N)=\frac{e^{-\mu}{\mu}N}{N!}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

18 hens lay 1 egg every 30 days so average, [tex]\mu[/tex], is 0.6 eggs a day.

Number of occurences, N, is 1 as it is checked once a day.

so P_[tex]\mu[/tex](N) = 0.329 using the numbers given.

And the most probable whole number of eggs found on each visit is 0.

Is this correct??

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2010 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

No, you made a mistake regarding what N stands for. N is the number of eggs you could find on a visit. P(0) is the probability of finding no eggs; P(1) is the probability of finding one egg; and so on.

4. Mar 1, 2010 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

These are some remarkably unproductive hens! In my experience, a more typical egg production rate would be closer to an egg per day for each hen.

5. Mar 1, 2010 #4
    so how do i find the probability of finding 0 eggs because if i put zero in the top line it will be 0, and that 0.329 is the probability of finding one egg then.

6. Mar 1, 2010 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Oh, your formula is wrong. I thought it was just a typo. It should be

[tex]P(N)=e^{-\mu}\frac{\mu^N}{N!}[/tex]

7. Mar 1, 2010 #6
    ok great thanks makes sense now, but how do i draw the poisson distribution? can it be 0.549 probability at zero? for it to be continuous it would have to have a negative distribution - is that possible? im assuming probability on the y axis and number of eggs on the x axis by the way

8. Mar 1, 2010 #7

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Look up the Poisson distribution in your textbook. It should answer your questions, like what the possible values of N are.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook