1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A problem in Coupling Transformers

1. Oct 29, 2013 #1
    Hello Guys !!

While Studing coupling transformers i found this problem
    i tried to solve it
    but i don't know if my solving is right or no !!
    so tell me :)

The problem :
    27phVRt.png
    eJPQdSJ.png

My solve is :
    V(out)=nV(in)
    V(out)= 2 * 312 = 624 v
    PIV = V(out) = 624 v
    and if the diode is turned around it will be reversed biased so no current will pass across RL and
    Output voltage will equal to zero ..

am i right guys or what ??

Thank you !!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2013 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Looks okay. Although whoever set the problem doesn't know his components very well. A 1N4002 diode as a PIV rating of about 100 V if I recall correctly. Expect the magic smoke to escape from the diode very shortly after switching on!

Also, you have ignored the ~0.7 V forward drop across the diode. Probably okay considering what a small percentage this is of the total voltage.

Nope. The secondary will present a full AC voltage signal, so if you turn the diode around it will simply conduct when the diode is forward biased on the opposite half-cycles (opposite that is to the half-cycles when it conducted in the original diode orientation). What does that tell you about the resulting potential across the load resistor?

4. Oct 29, 2013 #3
    I think the potential across the load resistor will be the same but with an opposite sign
    i mean that the voltage will take this shape ..am i right ??

SlNR6jY.png

5. Oct 29, 2013 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Looks good!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted