A Problem on quadratic functions

In summary, the conversation discusses the task of proving a statement involving a quadratic function without using graphs or prior knowledge of quadratic functions and equations. The first part of the problem has been solved using the quadratic formula, but the second part remains unsolved. The speaker suggests starting by considering when the statement is not true and using proof by contradiction to arrive at a contradiction. The context of the conversation is a mathematics course for engineering students at a university.
Mabs

Homework Statement

a) Let f(x) = ax^2+ bx + c; ∀x ∈ ℝ; where a(≠ 0), b and c ∈ ℝ are constants,
(i) Prove that f(k) =(64+(b^2−4ac)^2)/(64a) ; where k = −(b/2a)+(1/a)+(b^2−4ac)/(8a).
(ii) Hence, without using graphs and without using your knowledge on quadratic
functions and equations, prove that (∀x ∈ ℝ f(x) > 0) [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] (a > 0 and b^2 − 4ac< 0).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i have already proven the first part but i m stuck in the 2nd part that says prove from "hence" . otherwise i can show that there exist M in R such that for all x in R ,M<=f(x) and M=inf(f(x)), and there exist x' in R such that f(x')=M, so i can take an argument that x' to be in real and if this happens (a>0 and b^2-4ac<0) ,M>0, so f(x)<0, but on that approach i m not using any above proven things to get my second answer(hence). if anyone can help would be great. sorry for my english.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mabs said:

Homework Statement

a) Let f(x) = ax^2+ bx + c; ∀x ∈ ℝ; where a(≠ 0), b and c ∈ ℝ are constants,
(i) Prove that f(k) =(64+(b^2−4ac)^2)/(64a) ; where k = −(b/2a)+(1/a)+(b^2−4ac)/(8a).
(ii) Hence, without using graphs and without using your knowledge on quadratic
functions and equations, prove that (∀x ∈ ℝ f(x) > 0) [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] (a > 0 and b^2 − 4ac< 0).

You want to prove that the statement ∀x ∈ ℝ f(x) > 0) [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] (a > 0 and b^2 − 4ac< 0) is a true statement. In this paticular case, if I were you I would start by thinking about when/under what conditions this statement isn't true. Do you know when an implication (p implies q) isn't true?

Then I would try to find a contradiction. Are you familiar with proof by contradiction? If not, I would be happy to explain.

This probably isn't the only way to do this, but it's the first solution I thought of and it seems well suited to this problem (I checked that the method works here).

Dods

Likes 1 person
thanks for the reply , p[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex]q is false only when the p is true and q is false. the problem I'm having is i can't find a way to say it from using f(k). it just a constant right ?. i can't use it to talk show that for all x f(x) is greater than 0. you mean that I should show the p (for all x f(x)>0 ) implies the negation of (a>0 & b^2-4ac<0) proposition is always false right ?

I'm sorry, I didn't get the emphasis on "hence"...I just suggested a less convoluted way of proving it (if you take (∀x ∈ ℝ f(x) > 0) to be true and (a > 0 and b^2 − 4ac< 0) to be false you can easily arrive at a contradiction). I'll look at it again, although off the top of my head I don't see a connection to the part you've already proved.

Can you clarify the context here? What sort of level is this book/course? Have you recently covered a method that could be relevant?

I'll try to help as much as I can, however there are plenty of people waaay smarter than me on these forums who might be better able to help, or see something I'm missing.

Likes 1 person
its on Mathematics of Bsc Engineering , level 1. its came up with the real analysis topic of functions.

What is a quadratic function?

A quadratic function is a polynomial function of the form f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the independent variable. It is a type of function that creates a parabola when graphed.

What is the difference between a quadratic equation and a quadratic function?

A quadratic equation is an equation that contains a quadratic term, such as x^2, and is set equal to a constant. A quadratic function, on the other hand, is a type of function that can be represented by a quadratic equation, but it does not always have to be set equal to a constant.

How do you solve a problem on quadratic functions?

To solve a problem on quadratic functions, you can use various methods such as factoring, completing the square, or using the quadratic formula. These methods involve manipulating the equation or graphing the function to find the x-intercepts, vertex, and other key points.

What are the real-life applications of quadratic functions?

Quadratic functions are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and finance. They can be used to model the trajectory of a projectile, design bridges and buildings, optimize production costs, and calculate profits and losses in business.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when working with quadratic functions?

Some common mistakes to avoid when working with quadratic functions include forgetting to check for extraneous solutions, making arithmetic errors, and misinterpreting the results. It is important to double-check your work and make sure it makes sense in the context of the problem.