1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Problem Using the Definition of a Limit

1. Nov 17, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If ε = 10, give a value of δ that satisfies |δ - a| where a = 2 and 0 < δ ≤ 1 and also guarantees that |f(x) − 1/4| < ε where f(x) = 1/(x^2)

2. Relevant equations

N/A

3. The attempt at a solution

My problem is the solution. The solution is δ = min(1,8) = 1. I am assuming that ε begins at L = 1/4 because |f(x) - L| is usually implied. So I graphed it out; I can see that any position of 0 < δ ≤ 1 from position a works when ε = 10 and 0 < δ ≤ 1. But I have no idea how the answer gets min (1,8). Anything larger than x = 2 is outside of ε.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2013 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

What is "satisfies |δ - a|" supposed to mean?

There's no assuming necessary (except perhaps what you mean by "ε begins at L = 1/4"). |f(x) − 1/4| < ε means that f(x) is within ε of 1/4.

Where did the 8 come from in the solutions? I assume the derivation is shown.

What is this supposed to mean? It doesn't make sense as you are comparing x values to y values.

4. Nov 17, 2013 #3
    Damn, I meant "satisfies 0 < δ ≤ 1 from the point a = 2". I came to that from the idea that if |x - 2| > δ and 0 < δ ≤ 1, then 1 < x < 3.

I meant that if f(x) = f(a) = f(2) = 1/4, then any x > 2 puts 1/(x^2) outside of the range of ε = 10 which seems to mean that ε = (1/4, 10+1/4) on the y axis. So my answer is, 0 < δ ≤ 1 because ε ≥ {f(1), f(2)}.

5. Nov 17, 2013 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Remember you have an absolute value, so you want -10 < f(x)-1/4 < 10. For some values of x greater than 2, that condition is satisfied.

Did you see where the 8 in the solutions came from?

6. Nov 17, 2013 #5
    Ah, after a long time, I finally get it - thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted