A Proof involving the GCD and divisibility

In summary, the problem is asking to prove that if two relatively prime integers, a and b, both divide an integer n, then their product ab also divides n. Various attempts at a solution have been made, including using the theorem 1.35 and the division algorithm. However, a satisfactory proof has not been found and other approaches, such as using the properties of the GCD, may be helpful.
AlexChandler

Homework Statement

If two integers a and b are relatively prime and if each divides an integer n, prove that their product ab divides n

Homework Equations

1=sa+tb for some integers s and t (thm 1.35)

gcd(a,b)=1

n=aa'=bb'

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried many many different ways to show that ab divides n, even tried a proof by induction. None of my methods seemed to be making any progress toward showing that ab divides n. Here is an example of something I tried:

Let gcd(a,b)=1 and let both a and b divide n.
Then by thm 1.35 sa+tb=1 for some integers s and t
Also we have n=aa'=bb' for some integers a' and b'
By the division algorithm, we have unique integers q,r such that ab=nq+r with r being a non-negative integer strictly less than n. Now I want to show that r=0 but haven't found a good way to do this. Clearly we must use the fact that 1=sa+tb and n=aa'=bb', but doing this does not give me that r=0 in any way that I have found.

If anybody has a hint or possibly a different strategy for this proof I would be very grateful!

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you considered using other characterizations of the GCD? Or even just using the properties of the GCD itself?

1. What is the GCD and how is it related to divisibility?

The GCD, or Greatest Common Divisor, is the largest number that evenly divides into two or more numbers. It is related to divisibility because if the GCD of two numbers is a factor of both numbers, then the numbers are said to be divisible by each other.

2. How is the GCD calculated?

The GCD can be calculated using the Euclidean algorithm, which involves finding the remainder when the larger number is divided by the smaller number. The smaller number then becomes the new larger number and the remainder becomes the new smaller number. This process is repeated until the remainder is 0, at which point the last non-zero remainder is the GCD.

3. Can the GCD be negative?

No, the GCD is always a positive number. This is because it represents the largest common factor between two numbers, and a negative number cannot be a factor of a positive number.

4. What does it mean if the GCD of two numbers is 1?

If the GCD of two numbers is 1, then the numbers are said to be relatively prime. This means that they have no common factors other than 1, and are therefore only divisible by 1 and themselves.

5. How is the GCD used in proofs?

The GCD is often used in proofs involving divisibility or integer relationships. In particular, the fact that the GCD of two numbers must divide any linear combination of the two numbers (i.e. ax + by) is a useful tool in number theory proofs.