A question about Business Degrees

In summary: He says the resume criteria for the job he got were: 1) degree in business or related field, 2) 3 years of experience in accounting or efficiency work, and 3) experience with computers and software.He says the whole job is basically summarizing expenses and figuring out ways to save money.
avant-garde
Is a business degree a stable way to go? Are things like entrepreneurship, financial analysis, MIS, investment banking, etc safe when there is an economic crisis, like now? I'm just wondering because I want to get an MBA one day, probably go to Stanford but if it hinders me from having a stable life I'd rather not have it. Should I do engineering instead if I want a good, stable income?

Physics news on Phys.org
You should probably do something your enjoy regardless... either choice will be lucrative enough if you are good at what you do

avant-garde said:
Is a business degree a stable way to go? Are things like entrepreneurship, financial analysis, MIS, investment banking, etc safe when there is an economic crisis, like now? I'm just wondering because I want to get an MBA one day, probably go to Stanford but if it hinders me from having a stable life I'd rather not have it. Should I do engineering instead if I want a good, stable income?
A business degree could be stable depending on the industry/business in which one lands a job. An engineering degree could also provide the basis for stable job.

Some universities have programs that encourage engineering students to do what is effectively a minor in business. Engineering and business management can be lucrative professions.

It's good for an engineer to have a background in business, and it is good for a business manager to have a background in engineering if he/she is a manager at a technology company. To be an effective manager requires knowledge of technology in order to have an effective understanding and reasonable expectations with respect to R&D and product/market.

These days, I think the best advice career-wise is to develop and maintain an up-to-date skill set that is likely to remain in demand for the forseeable future. Chances are, you will change careers in your life, multiple times - so it's best to develop the attitude that you are essentially a contractor. The days of the long-term stable job are diminishing. I know people who worked in General Motors and had stable, well-paying, unionized jobs for most of their lives, but are now worried because if the corporation goes bankrupt, their pensions will be in jeopardy.

That being said, the economy won't be in the same situation it is now when you graduate in four (or more) years. And no one can really predict what the "hot" fields are going to be over the next forty years. Consider that people retiring now started working in the 1960s - it was a totally different world back then.

Bill Gross founded Idealab in March 1996 and has served as Chairman of the Board and Chief Executive Officer and as a Director since that time. Mr. Gross served as President from March 1996 to March 2000. Prior to Idealab, he founded a number of companies. Mr. Gross started Solar Devices, a firm which sold plans and kits for solar energy products and he patented a new loudspeaker design and formed GNP Loudspeakers, Inc. After graduating from California Institute of Technology, . . . . Mr. Gross serves on the boards of directors of numerous companies and is also a member of the Board of Trustees of California Institute of Technology and the Art Center College of Design. Mr. Gross received his B.S. in Mechanical Engineering from California Institute of Technology.
from http://www.idealab.com/about_idealab/board.html

My good friends brother,(who convinced me that physics degrees are a realistic goal and got me to go back to school), graduated with a gpa of a 3.2 with a BA of physics. He just got a job working for a very large supermarket chain as a efficiency annalist. He beat multiple people who graduated from the same university with much better grades as business majors.

1. What is a business degree?

A business degree is an academic degree that focuses on the study of business and management principles. It typically covers a wide range of subjects, such as economics, accounting, marketing, finance, and entrepreneurship. Students who pursue a business degree are equipped with the skills and knowledge necessary to succeed in various business settings.

2. What types of business degrees are available?

There are several types of business degrees available, including an Associate's degree, Bachelor's degree, Master's degree, and Doctoral degree. These degrees can be further specialized in areas such as Business Administration, Accounting, Finance, Marketing, Human Resources, and many more.

3. What are the benefits of obtaining a business degree?

Earning a business degree can provide numerous benefits, including enhanced job opportunities, higher earning potential, and the development of key skills such as critical thinking, problem-solving, and teamwork. It also prepares students for a variety of roles in different industries, from entry-level positions to executive leadership roles.

4. Can I pursue a business degree online?

Yes, there are many reputable universities and colleges that offer online business degrees. Online programs provide flexibility for students who may have other commitments, such as work or family. However, it is crucial to ensure that the online program is accredited and reputable.

5. What career opportunities are available with a business degree?

A business degree can open up a wide range of career opportunities in various industries, such as finance, marketing, human resources, consulting, and entrepreneurship. Some specific job titles may include business analyst, marketing manager, financial analyst, human resource manager, and business development manager.