Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question about forces on a mass

1. Sep 11, 2008 #1
    The problem gives me a mass at the top of an inclined track. the track is not linear but curved and the bottom of the track is also curved such that mass m will leave the track in a "jump" My question lies, though, in that I want to know the force of the track on mass m when the mass is at the lowest point of the track (so the mass is essentially on a horizontal surface). In other words, the mass has been accelerating down the track and I want to know if this previous acceleration will effect the normal force. Is the normal force the same as if the mass had just been placed at the bottom of the track or is it different because the mass has been sliding down from height h?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi lightning208! Welcome to PF! :smile:

The normal reaction force will be affected by the slope (which, as you say, is zero in this case), and by the curvature of the track, which causes a centripetal acceleration that has to be "added" to g. :smile:
  4. Sep 11, 2008 #3
    thank you!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?