A question about forces on a mass

• Thread starter lightning208
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces Mass
In summary, the problem involves a mass on a curved track that will leave the track in a jump. The question is about the force of the track on the mass when it is at the lowest point, after sliding down from a height. The normal force will be affected by both the slope and the curvature of the track, in addition to the acceleration due to gravity.
lightning208
The problem gives me a mass at the top of an inclined track. the track is not linear but curved and the bottom of the track is also curved such that mass m will leave the track in a "jump" My question lies, though, in that I want to know the force of the track on mass m when the mass is at the lowest point of the track (so the mass is essentially on a horizontal surface). In other words, the mass has been accelerating down the track and I want to know if this previous acceleration will effect the normal force. Is the normal force the same as if the mass had just been placed at the bottom of the track or is it different because the mass has been sliding down from height h?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

lightning208 said:
The problem gives me a mass at the top of an inclined track. the track is not linear but curved and the bottom of the track is also curved such that mass m will leave the track in a "jump" My question lies, though, in that I want to know the force of the track on mass m when the mass is at the lowest point of the track (so the mass is essentially on a horizontal surface). In other words, the mass has been accelerating down the track and I want to know if this previous acceleration will effect the normal force. Is the normal force the same as if the mass had just been placed at the bottom of the track or is it different because the mass has been sliding down from height h?

Hi lightning208! Welcome to PF! :smile:

The normal reaction force will be affected by the slope (which, as you say, is zero in this case), and by the curvature of the track, which causes a centripetal acceleration that has to be "added" to g. :smile:

thank you!

1. What is the definition of force?

Force is a push or pull that can cause an object to accelerate or change its motion.

2. How do you calculate the force on a mass?

The force on a mass can be calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by its acceleration, as described by Newton's second law of motion: F = ma.

3. What are the different types of forces?

There are four fundamental forces: gravitational, electromagnetic, strong nuclear, and weak nuclear. Other types of forces include friction, tension, and normal force.

4. How does the force of gravity affect a mass?

The force of gravity is a type of force that pulls objects towards each other. It affects a mass by exerting a downward force on it, causing it to accelerate towards the center of the Earth.

5. How can the forces on a mass be balanced?

The forces on a mass can be balanced when the net force acting on the object is zero. This can be achieved by either having equal and opposite forces acting on the object or by having no forces acting on the object at all.