A question about Institute for Advanced Study and Yoichiro Nambu

In summary, the conversation discusses the chances of a Canadian potential physicist being invited by well-known universities such as the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton. It is noted that one's reputation is based on their work, not where they work, and getting a Ph.D from a well-known university is not necessary for success. The conversation also touches on the possibility of getting multiple Ph.Ds and the importance of luck in making major breakthroughs in the field of physics. It is mentioned that top schools tend to hire those who are already doing great work and have more funding opportunities.
flyingpig
I am in my senior years now and I am Canadian, going into a Canadian University. I plan to become a physicist, a researching physicist at a university. I want to research at the point where I am like Yoichiro Nambu.

This is my question: Does a Canadian potential physicist have any chance at being invited by the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton or any well-known facilities? If I do not get a Ph.D from a well-known university, is there any chance of being recognized? Do Canadian universities such as University of British Columbia or Toronto have that type of facility for me to research?

My other question: What does it take to get recognized and be inviited by well-known universities to study? I know Yoichiro Nambu did not start out like that, but I really want to become one of those people. In fact, I don't even care if it's an Ivy League or not, it can be Berkeley or Oxbridge or even Chicago (I actually want to go there more than universities like Harvard).

Can you successful physicist shed some light on me?

I am also aiming for a Ph.D in Physics, Mathematics and Chemistry (does Ph.D in Chemistry even exist??)

Physics news on Phys.org
Your reputation is based on your work, not where you work. If you do very well in undergrad and impress someone at Princeton, you might have a shot at grad school there - but again, you don't need to go to grad school at Princeton to be successful in whatever field you choose. Yes, Toronto is an excellent school for physics. And yes, you can get a PhD in chemistry - but you really don't need three PhDs. Most programs would shy away from admitting you for your second, much less a third.

If you want to work at MIT or Harvard, just get an apartment in Cambridge and just attend physics seminars there. The only real difficulty here is to find something that will pay for your living expenses.

Right now your chances of getting a formal research position at any big name university is pretty near to nil. This is just because there are too few research positions and too many applicants, and what gets funded depends on the vagaries of politics.

What you really want is to find some position (anywhere doing anything) that will give you the time and facilities to think.

Twofish, what is this seminar you speak of..?

eri said:
Your reputation is based on your work, not where you work. If you do very well in undergrad and impress someone at Princeton, you might have a shot at grad school there - but again, you don't need to go to grad school at Princeton to be successful in whatever field you choose. Yes, Toronto is an excellent school for physics. And yes, you can get a PhD in chemistry - but you really don't need three PhDs. Most programs would shy away from admitting you for your second, much less a third.

What do you mean shy away ?

flyingpig said:
Twofish, what is this seminar you speak of..?

If you are in the Boston area, you can subscribe to the Boston Area Physics Calendar, and whenever there is a talk at MIT, Harvard, Tufts, BU, Northeastern, etc. etc. you just show up.

http://cosmos.phy.tufts.edu/bapc.html

flyingpig said:
What do you mean shy away ?

As in they often have rules against it. For example, I know UC Berkeley won't admit someone for a second Ph.D. unless the admitting department petitions for approval and argues that it serves a valid scientific purpose.

(Perhaps these petitions are accepted routinely... but it *is* an additional bureacratic hassle in any event.)

I thought Berkeley won't even accept people just to get a Ph.D from them

It's probably overkill to get more than one Ph.d. Instead of getting three Ph.D. in mathematics, physics, and chemistry, you probably want to get one in mathematical physical chemistry (and yes that is something you can get a Ph.D. in).

One other thing is that you can be a decent physicist through hard work, but to make a major breakthrough requires some dumb luck. Nature decides where the breakthroughs are, and it may or may not be where you are looking.

But I find it weird that it is always people from well-known universities that have these "major breakthroughs". Like why can't someone from an unknown university have that chance?

It's not the university you're at that determines if you'll have a major breakthrough, it's the fact that top schools tend to hire the people who are doing great work and having them more often. Getting into Princeton won't make you a genius; being a genius will (maybe) get you into Princeton.

eri said:
It's not the university you're at that determines if you'll have a major breakthrough, it's the fact that top schools tend to hire the people who are doing great work and having them more often. Getting into Princeton won't make you a genius; being a genius will (maybe) get you into Princeton.

Not to mention that these people tend to get a more funding for students, equipment etc than people working at "unknown" universities that haven't been as successful; which can be extremely important (at least in experimental physics) and certainly gives you a competitive edge compared to other people working in the same field.

What is the Institute for Advanced Study?

The Institute for Advanced Study is an independent, postdoctoral research center located in Princeton, New Jersey. It was founded in 1930 and has been home to many notable academics and scholars, including Albert Einstein and J. Robert Oppenheimer.

Who is Yoichiro Nambu?

Yoichiro Nambu was a Japanese-American physicist and Nobel laureate. He was a professor at the University of Chicago and a member of the Institute for Advanced Study. Nambu made significant contributions to the field of theoretical physics, particularly in the areas of quantum mechanics and particle physics.

What is Yoichiro Nambu's connection to the Institute for Advanced Study?

Nambu was a member of the Institute for Advanced Study from 1970 until his retirement in 2001. During his time there, he conducted research and collaborated with other prominent scientists, contributing to the institute's reputation as a leading center for theoretical physics.

What are some of the achievements of Yoichiro Nambu?

Nambu's most notable achievement was winning the Nobel Prize in Physics in 2008, along with two other scientists, for his work on the spontaneous breaking of symmetries in subatomic particles. He also made significant contributions to the theory of quantum chromodynamics and the understanding of fundamental particles and forces.

How does the research conducted at the Institute for Advanced Study impact the scientific community?

The Institute for Advanced Study has a long history of groundbreaking research in various fields, including mathematics, physics, history, and economics. Many of its researchers have gone on to make significant contributions to their respective fields, and the institute's collaborative atmosphere and focus on original, innovative research have helped push the boundaries of human knowledge.