A question about magnetism that causes a wheel-loop to rotate

In summary: The "motional emf" will cause the current through the wheel to increase at a constant rate, which is why the angular velocity will keep increasing at a constant rate Στ/I or 0.06/I.
bdvjofrni
Homework Statement
A wheel with six spokes is positioned perpendicular to a uniform magnetic field B of magnitude 0.5 tesla (weber per
square meter). The field is directed into the plane of the paper and is present over the entire region of the wheel as shown above.
When the switch S is closed, there is an initial current of 6 amperes between the axle and the rim, and the wheel begins to rotate.
The resistance of the spokes and the rim may be neglected.
a. What is the direction of rotation of the wheel? Explain.
b. The radius of the wheel is 0.2 meters. Calculate the initial torque on the wheel.
c. Describe qualitatively the angular velocity of the wheel as a function of time.
Relevant Equations
F=I*i x B
τ=r x F
This question is from 1977 AP Physics C so I suppose it would be clear enough, but I am confused about question c. Question a is easy (it rotates counterclockwise), question b too (Στ=6*rxF=6*r x (I*i x B)=0.06). Question C is where I am stuck.
The diagram provided with the question looks like this:

Since it is a uniform magnetic field and the area of the wheel does not change, there is no electromagnetism and the current through the wheel should be constantly 6A, which means that the total torque is always 0.06Nm. Thus, my answer is that since current does not change and ω=ω0+t*Στ/I (where I is the moment of inertia), the angular velocity will keep increasing at a constant rate Στ/I or 0.06/I.
The actual answer, however, says this:

I do see why the angular acceleration will approach zero, instead of being constant. Angular acceleration approaching zero means torque approaching zero which also means current approaching zero. This seems to be the case of a RC circuit.
I'm not sure if I am understanding the diagram correctly. My understanding is that the wheel is directly connected to the circuit on both the center and the rim. I envision the connection that the rim to be some kind of brush so that the wheel can rotate, so it is physically connected to the circuit? Or does the diagram actually mean that there is a disconnect at the rim and it actually functions like a capacitor (which explains why question c's answer is this way)? Or did I miss anything else?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
bdvjofrni said:
Question C is where I am stuck.

Since it is a uniform magnetic field and the area of the wheel does not change, there is no electromagnetism and the current through the wheel should be constantly 6A, which means that the total torque is always 0.06Nm.
As the wheel rotates, there will be some "motional emf" induced in each spoke.

http://www.physics.byu.edu/faculty/christensen/Physics%20220/FTI/31%20Faraday's%20Law/31.8%20Motional%20emf%20in%20a%20moving%20rod.htm

https://www.physics.byu.edu/faculty/christensen/Physics%20220/FTI/31%20Faraday's%20Law/31.10%20Motional%20emf%20in%20a%20rotating%20bar.htm

1. How does magnetism cause a wheel-loop to rotate?

Magnetism is a force that can attract or repel certain materials, such as iron or steel. When a magnet is placed near a wheel-loop, which is a loop of wire that can conduct electricity, the magnetic field of the magnet can induce a current in the wire. This current creates an electromagnetic field that interacts with the magnetic field of the magnet, causing the wheel-loop to rotate.

2. What is the purpose of a wheel-loop in relation to magnetism?

A wheel-loop is often used in experiments or devices that demonstrate the principles of electricity and magnetism. It allows for the conversion of magnetic energy into rotational energy, making it a useful tool for understanding and studying these phenomena.

3. Can any magnet cause a wheel-loop to rotate?

No, not all magnets will cause a wheel-loop to rotate. The strength of the magnetic field and the distance between the magnet and the wheel-loop are important factors. A stronger magnet or a closer distance will result in a stronger rotation of the wheel-loop.

4. How can the speed of the wheel-loop's rotation be controlled?

The speed of the wheel-loop's rotation can be controlled by adjusting the strength and placement of the magnet, as well as the amount of current flowing through the wire. By manipulating these variables, the strength of the electromagnetic field and the resulting rotation can be controlled.

5. What other factors can affect the rotation of a wheel-loop caused by magnetism?

Other factors that can affect the rotation of a wheel-loop include the size and shape of the wheel-loop, as well as any external forces acting on the system. Friction and air resistance can also play a role in the speed and direction of the rotation.