Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question about search engines.

1. Sep 2, 2014 #1
    Can you explain me why search engines sometimes can not find existing entries. I can find them in the site, I can see them but Google and Bing can not find them.

Best Regards.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2014 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Maybe the search engines simply haven't found that content yet. The content might have been added after the search engine spiders last visited the site. Or the site might be structured in such a way as to make the content inaccessible (or at least not easily accessible) to the spiders. For example, it used to be the case that Google couldn't crawl links inside Javascript code; I haven't kept up with this so I don't know if it's still true.

4. Sep 2, 2014 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

What you see and what the search engine sees are sometimes two different things.

Even when the search engine sees something it may choose to not index it. Sometimes per the owner site request - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robots_exclusion_standard, sometimes because it decides site contains stolen/illegal material.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook