Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question about sorts of using exception

1. Mar 26, 2008 #1
    i know only the try catch method
    that says
    for that king of excepion do this

but i saw some weird other implementation
    like in the signature of the method "throws exception"
    ok now what? it doesnt say what to do in a case of an exception
    it just say "throws exception"
    what other sorts of exception implementation are there??
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2008 #2
    I'm having a hard time understanding your question.

You don't need (in most languages anyway) to catch a specific type of exception.

Code (Text):

try { int a = 1 / 0; }
    catch (DivisionByZeroException e) { Console.Out.WriteLine("Division by Zero"); }

Code (Text):

try { int a = 1 / 0; }
    catch (Exception e) { Console.Out.WriteLine("Something bad happened"); }
    (This is c#, your exact vocabulary may vary).

If you catch an unspecified exception, it is sort of up to you what you want to do about it. It depends on the situation. Sometimes you might want to just fail silently (if say your program is checking for updates of itself and cant connect to the server), sometimes you want to display the details of the exception to the user (for most errors) and leave "what to do next" to him or her, and sometimes you want to shut down completely.

4. Mar 26, 2008 #3
    i forgot to mention that this is java
  5. Mar 26, 2008 #4
    can you answer this question for JAVA
  6. Mar 26, 2008 #5
    In java, all exceptions inherit from the Exception class, so you can catch that one if you don't know what you are looking for.

Code (Text):

catch (Exception e)
        System.err.println("Error :" + e.getMessage());
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2008
  7. Mar 26, 2008 #6
    ye but thats not the only sort
    there is the case of a method throws exception

were is the catch stuff there
    cause i saw implementation without any catch in this sort of implementation
  8. Mar 26, 2008 #7

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Are you saying that you throw classes that don't derive from the Exception class? In that case you'd have to know what to catch since you wrote the code. But in general you should only throw Exceptions; you should add "extends Exception" to any class you're throwing. (N.B.: not to any class that throws exceptions, only classes that are themselves exceptions!)
  9. Mar 26, 2008 #8

Science Advisor

In Java, when you're calling any methods that may throw a given exception, then your options are to use a try/catch to handle the exception or to mark your current method as able-to-throw that exception (using "throws").

This ensures that, even though you're choosing not to handle a given exception in your code, the code that is calling your method will handle that exception itself (or its caller, etc). You use "throws" to delegate the handling of the exception to the caller.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?