A question of "Time" and pre-determination and has everything already happened?

• Thread starter Thormier
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of time and the idea that everything has already happened, leading to the question of whether our decisions are predetermined or just an illusion. This theory is more philosophical in nature and not fully supported by physics. It also touches on the concept of time and how it is defined, as well as the idea of multiple timelines and the role of quantum fluctuations. The conversation ends with a reminder that philosophical discussions are not allowed on this forum.
Thormier
Hey guys, iv been reading and watching a few lectures on time, and iv come across a lot of physicist's talking about there been no "Arrow of time" and how life is like a DvD where as your not actually traveling through time everything has already happened (I hope this makes sense) But what i don't understand about this theory is, if this is true then does this mean iv already made all the decisions in my mind like for example what movie am i going to put on right now and is the "Choosing" of the movie just an illusion as everything has already been pre-determined,i hope you understand what i mean Cheers :eek:)

It just seems strange to me that i can't actually decide to do something because the decision has already been made

Physics news on Phys.org
Whether the future is determined but unknown or undetermined and unknown is a matter of philosophy, not physics.

The theory which you have mentioned about seems fascinating although I am not aware of it. So probably it is something that I can explore further. However about the decisions there is yet another fact that comes into picture is about conscious and subconsciousmind.
Moreover this theory leans much towards the philosophical nature (as mentioned by @jbriggs444) where destiny and all sorts of this come into play.
I have read few texts about the time and stuff, but what I am really unable to understand is the 'Definition of time'. To me lt seems like more of a abstract concept.

The idea that everything is preordained is called "superdeterminism" and it's totally against reality if for no other reason than quantum fluctuations. The way around that is the "multiverse" theory (to which I subscribe) wherein every single thing that could possibly happen does, but each option branches off into multiple timelines in one of which each is true.

jbriggs444 said:
a matter of philosophy, not physics.
Agreed. Thread closed.

There's been some questions about why this thread was closed. The answer is that discussions primarily of a philosophical nature are generally not allowed here at PF. This forum's primary goal is to teach people about current, mainstream physics. The questions posed here should have clear answers that make logical sense. Philosophical discussions don't meet this criteria. There's usually no answer for them, only an endless discussion that doesn't work well for what we want PF to be.

1. What is pre-determination in relation to time?

Pre-determination is the belief that all events and outcomes in the universe have been predetermined and will inevitably occur, regardless of any actions or decisions made by individuals.

2. How does the concept of pre-determination tie into the idea of time?

The concept of pre-determination suggests that time is not linear, but rather that all events have already happened and are just waiting to be experienced by individuals in a sequential manner.

3. Is there any scientific evidence to support the idea of pre-determination?

No, there is currently no scientific evidence to support the concept of pre-determination. However, some theories in quantum mechanics and relativity suggest that time may not be as linear as we perceive it to be.

4. Does the idea of pre-determination take away our free will?

This is a highly debated topic and ultimately a matter of personal belief. Some argue that if everything is predetermined, then free will does not exist. Others argue that even if events are predetermined, our actions and decisions still have an impact on our experiences.

5. Can the concept of pre-determination and time be reconciled with religious beliefs?

Again, this is a matter of personal belief and interpretation. Some religions believe in predestination, where all events are predetermined by a higher power. Others believe in the concept of free will and that individuals have the power to shape their own lives and futures.