1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question on adding dates to name et al. in dissertation

1. Feb 4, 2015 #1
    Hi, I really need some advice on this if anyone can help? Below are some excerpts from my dissertation on Sonoluminescence:

My question is, is it okay to write the above as they are? Or for example in the first line is a date after the et al. ALWAYS required?

Any advice on this would really be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2015 #2

Quantum Defect

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Different places have different requirements. My thesis was written with the same formatting for the references as the AIP Journal that most of my work was published in. This was fine for the Graduate Division at my University.

Basically, follow the rules of your Graduate Division (or equvalnet body). If there is felxibility in formatting, pick a format that you like, consider one that is the "lingua franca" of your discipline. Be consistent.

4. Feb 4, 2015 #3

Thanks for that, yes I see what you mean by having consistancy. And I will look into how my department writes their dissertations. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook