Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A question on Electromotive Force

1. Jul 9, 2015 #1
    May i know if electromotive force (emf) moves from the positive terminal to the negative terminal or a battery through a circuit or is it from the negative terminal to positive terminal?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2015 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

hi Lim
    welcome to PF :smile:

The EMF doesn't move anywhere

here is a respectable definition from
    Definition of Electromotive Force | Chegg.com
    www.chegg.com/homework-help/definitions/electromotive-force-4

several years ago on these forums, NascentOxygen made another important observation ....
    https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/what-is-the-definition-of-emf.588037/#post-3822559

cheers
    Dave

4. Jul 9, 2015 #3
    Thank you. It has cleared up a misconception that i had but it has also led me to another question - does the charge that is pushed by electromotive force move from positive to negative terminal or the other way round?

5. Jul 9, 2015 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

If the charge is carried by electrons, which are negatively charged, they move from the negative terminal to the positive one.

However, for historical reasons, we normally designate as the "direction of current", the direction that the charge carriers would flow if they were positively charged, i.e. from the positive terminal to the negative one.

6. Jul 9, 2015 #5
    oh. thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook